View Single Post
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Race card played

I was at a camp this last weekend (did pretty well and heard that my local chapter assignment secretary was saying good things about me…but that is not the purpose of the post). Teams were part of a boys 11/12 grade tournament.

Sunday’s schedule got messed up by a double OT game early so the director told everyone to forget their game schedule and stay in the main gym…he grabbed us as needed and did a good job keeping all of us working. Late in the afternoon, he walks up to me and asks if I am ready for a challenge…two good teams that like to run…said it would be a tough game to call. I figure it is worth rolling the dice so I take the game. Home team is all Caucasian, visitors are all African-American…this comes into play later.

Things are rocking along real well. None of us have a lot of three whistle experience but we never miss a rotation, are communicating well and have the game in control. At halftime, the evaluator compliments us and mentions a couple of minor things. Early in the second half, #42 for black starts whining about calls. We talk to him with little success, but he doesn't cross the line. Game is tight (3 points) with just under a minute. White has a break going and #42 clearly takes out the shooter attempting a lay-up. I am at lead, so I call the foul. He immediately starts to complain and gesturing with his hands. I say “Cool it, you don’t want to make this any worse.” He turns, takes two steps, then looks back and yells “Bullsh!t call!” I can’t let that go, especially with an evaluator sitting in the stands so I give him the T. After letting my partners know what I have, I go to report. The black team assistant starts onto the floor complaining. I hold up my hand and ask him to get off the floor. He yells “Ill do what I want and there is nothing you can do!” I show him there is at least one thing I can do and stick him.

About this time, one of my partners gets there and is trying to get between the two of us. I take a step back, then to the side but the assistant is persistent. He is still vocal, and I’m thinking my partner is going to run him any minute. Finally, he sticks his finger at me and yells “You are a bigot!” I hold for a second, giving my partner a chance…no whistle from him…so I run him.

White makes all 8…game over. BTW, I double checked the score sheets after they were picked up at the table…foul count was 6-6 in the second half, 12-13 for the entire game.