The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

BSL:

If I remember correctly while reading my rules and case books this year, it IS NOT the responsibility of the officials to know whether or not a player has participated in an excessive number of quarters (J.V. and Varsity as you have posted.)

I'm pretty sure that this is a forfeit situation (not to be handled by the game officials)to be handled by your state association based upon proof that you can show this kid played too many quarter.

I also believe that the "T" was unwarranted in this situation. The game should have continued with the substitution as normal and you (coach) should pursue the forfeit ASAP.

Let me know how it all turns out and good luck.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I am from Indiana and a newly licensed official and an assistant boys varsity basketball coach in Indiana. I was coaching and had a situation last night that the opposing team had a player that had already played 3 quarters in the JV game and came in the 2nd & 3rd quarter of the Varsity game (5 quarters played which is legal). I figured the coach knew the player was done for the night after the 3rd quarter was done because he substituted for the player. About half way through the 4th quarter this same player gets up from the bench and reports in. The official beckons him in and then the scorers bench realize this was an illegal substitution since he has no quarters left and calls the official over. I encourage the official, (Putting my coaches hat on), that even though the ball has not become live yet that they should still at least get a technical. Well he charges the two shot technical and awards the ball to our team and lets the player stay in the game. I asked the official why he is staying in the game and he said it is similar to an excessive time out. The player basically bought his way into the game. My question is, is this just a technical or a GAME FORFIET for the other team? I have had a few people mentioning after the game that it was a Forfiet.

Thanks for any responses
BSL
Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
I agree with Pirate.
This is not an enforcable rule by an official. If there is a problem the coach needs to protest the game and go through the proper channels to resolve the situation.

This would be my advice to the coach who had a problem.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Sat Jan 08, 2000, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
I aggree with Pirate and Ron.

In your situation 2 mistake's were made!
First, the coach encouraged the referee to give them a "T" and for knowing the 5 quarter rule but not knowing who or how to handle the situation.
Second, the referee granting the "T" and not saying "coach, that rule is not covered in by the NF it's a state athletic assocition".

------------------
Don
Old Mon Feb 14, 2000, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Hi; Pirate, Ron Pilo, and Alaska Ref,

Thanks for the posts to my post on 6 quarters played. I know it has been awhile, but just FYI, the game was called a forfiet by our State association and we were credited for the win.

Thanks again,
BSL