The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 09:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 504
Race card played

I was at a camp this last weekend (did pretty well and heard that my local chapter assignment secretary was saying good things about me…but that is not the purpose of the post). Teams were part of a boys 11/12 grade tournament.

Sunday’s schedule got messed up by a double OT game early so the director told everyone to forget their game schedule and stay in the main gym…he grabbed us as needed and did a good job keeping all of us working. Late in the afternoon, he walks up to me and asks if I am ready for a challenge…two good teams that like to run…said it would be a tough game to call. I figure it is worth rolling the dice so I take the game. Home team is all Caucasian, visitors are all African-American…this comes into play later.

Things are rocking along real well. None of us have a lot of three whistle experience but we never miss a rotation, are communicating well and have the game in control. At halftime, the evaluator compliments us and mentions a couple of minor things. Early in the second half, #42 for black starts whining about calls. We talk to him with little success, but he doesn't cross the line. Game is tight (3 points) with just under a minute. White has a break going and #42 clearly takes out the shooter attempting a lay-up. I am at lead, so I call the foul. He immediately starts to complain and gesturing with his hands. I say “Cool it, you don’t want to make this any worse.” He turns, takes two steps, then looks back and yells “Bullsh!t call!” I can’t let that go, especially with an evaluator sitting in the stands so I give him the T. After letting my partners know what I have, I go to report. The black team assistant starts onto the floor complaining. I hold up my hand and ask him to get off the floor. He yells “Ill do what I want and there is nothing you can do!” I show him there is at least one thing I can do and stick him.

About this time, one of my partners gets there and is trying to get between the two of us. I take a step back, then to the side but the assistant is persistent. He is still vocal, and I’m thinking my partner is going to run him any minute. Finally, he sticks his finger at me and yells “You are a bigot!” I hold for a second, giving my partner a chance…no whistle from him…so I run him.

White makes all 8…game over. BTW, I double checked the score sheets after they were picked up at the table…foul count was 6-6 in the second half, 12-13 for the entire game.
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault...I said I was going to blame you.
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 1,342
LarryS,

Being African American, I believe you handled the situation properly. I would not have stood for that type of behavior either. However, it is sad that you did not have strong partners to assist you because, it appeared from what you describe as the bad guy out to get them.
__________________
truerookie
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:06am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
This happens sometimes. I wouldn't consider it a big deal.

1. How many times are you going to talk to the same player?
2. Why are you holding your hand up for an assistant? I wouldn't hold my hand up for anyone, but that is another story.
3. If the comments were directly aimed at you, IMO T him up three times if you have to!

Many evaluators know what is going on. This is still a dynamic game and unwritten rules can't always be followed, depending on the circumstance. Three years ago, I got hired by a conference because I was tired and had the wrong two teams for the last game of the night. 5 T's later the evaluator looked at my partners and said, "Where are you guys at?" Do what you have to do.

Question: If he would have called you a bigot before you gave him the first T, what would you have done?
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:06am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,574
Cool

I assuming you're an African-American official, black team (uniform) is the Caucasian team, and the white team (uniform) is the African-American team???

Sounds like you did what you were supposed to do in the scenario you described. I wouldn't have bothered to check the score sheet. You had an evaluator watching you, what did he say about how you and your partners handled the situation in particular and the game overall?
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR

Last edited by Raymond; Mon Jul 17, 2006 at 10:09am.
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:08am
Huck Finn
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 3,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by truerookie
LarryS,

Being African American, I believe you handled the situation properly. I would not have stood for that type of behavior either. However, it is sad that you did not have strong partners to assist you because, it appeared from what you describe as the bad guy out to get them.
Can someone who has been an assigner, on any level, comment on this? Do you have a problem with an official giving a coach two T's when a coach's behavior is directly aimed at that official?
__________________
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -- John Wooden
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:10am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Sassari, Sardinia, Italy
Posts: 47
Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun
Can someone who has been an assigner, on any level, comment on this? Do you have a problem with an official giving a coach two T's when a coach's behavior is directly aimed at that official?
I'm not an assignor, but I'm sure I would not have a problem with that official. I would maybe have a problem with his colleague(s).
__________________
Visit my Latin Blog:
www.latinblog.org

webmaster@latinblog.org
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I assuming you're an African-American official, black team (uniform) is the Caucasian team, and the white team (uniform) is the African-American team???

Sounds like you did what you were supposed to do in the scenario you described. I wouldn't have bothered to check the score sheet. You had an evaluator watching you, what did he say about how you and your partners handled the situation in particular and the game overall?
Sorry if I wan't clear. I am Caucasian. Home team was all Caucasian and wore white. Visiting team was all African-American and wore black uniforms.
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault...I said I was going to blame you.
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:14am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
Sorry if I wan't clear. I am Caucasian. Home team was all Caucasian and wore white. Visiting team was all African-American and wore black uniforms.
what did the evaluator say after the game????
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
And more specifically, what did he say about your partner's failure to take care of business?
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:28am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
what did the evaluator say after the game????
He complimented me on taking care of business and told my partners that one of them should have given the assistant the second T...and qucikly when he kept trying to get in my face. He added that he was not going to get on them very hard as we all did a great job in the game.

Suprisingly (at least to me) I stayed calm the entire time. Probably because I was trying to remember the number of the player and if the shot went in

The really good part of all this is that the evaluator is a personal freind of my assignment secretary. As we were finishing up, he grabbed my arm. When we were alone, he said he saw me work last summer and that "I have elavated my game significantly. I'll work with you anytime, anywhere...and I'll make sure the right people know that." That sure made the drive home more enjoyable...now I just have to do perform at the same level at our camp in a few weeks.
__________________
I didn't say it was your fault...I said I was going to blame you.
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 10:36am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Just north of hell
Posts: 9,250
Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
He complimented me on taking care of business and told my partners that one of them should have given the assistant the second T...and qucikly when he kept trying to get in my face. He added that he was not going to get on them very hard as we all did a great job in the game.

Suprisingly (at least to me) I stayed calm the entire time. Probably because I was trying to remember the number of the player and if the shot went in

The really good part of all this is that the evaluator is a personal freind of my assignment secretary. As we were finishing up, he grabbed my arm. When we were alone, he said he saw me work last summer and that "I have elavated my game significantly. I'll work with you anytime, anywhere...and I'll make sure the right people know that." That sure made the drive home more enjoyable...now I just have to do perform at the same level at our camp in a few weeks.
Congrats on the compliments & on handling this well. Like Tom said, what this jerk said is not really a big deal, unless you make it a big deal. Just quietly take care of business.
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 12:52pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 27,887
Other than the comment the assistant said, what the hell does this have to do with race? Understand that coaches, fans and players use anything as an excuse for things that do not go their way. It just happens there is a racial element in this situation (where I live this is a very common situation in basketball games). If it was two white teams or two Black teams, then it would have been geography. So what if you were called a bigot, you will be called a lot more if you continue to officate. Also I have no problem with an official giving two Ts. You cannot say you will never be put in a situation where this should not take place. You were already called a bigot, so nothing you do is going to be right anyway.

Peace
__________________
"When the phone does not ring, the assignor is calling."
--Black

Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 06:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
He immediately starts to complain and gesturing with his hands. I say “Cool it, you don’t want to make this any worse.” He turns, takes two steps, then looks back and yells “Bullsh!t call!” I can’t let that go, especially with an evaluator sitting in the stands so I give him the T.
Good call. It's a T even if there is no evaluator there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
The black team assistant starts onto the floor complaining. I hold up my hand and ask him to get off the floor. He yells “Ill do what I want and there is nothing you can do!” I show him there is at least one thing I can do and stick him.
Good call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryS
About this time, one of my partners gets there and is trying to get between the two of us. I take a step back, then to the side but the assistant is persistent. He is still vocal, and I’m thinking my partner is going to run him any minute. Finally, he sticks his finger at me and yells “You are a bigot!”
Maybe I'm a hard-a$$, but this is a flagrant technical. Write it up so. Your P bailed on ya here - definitely ask him why in the post-game.

Excellent job!
__________________
Pope Francis
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 06:51pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Near Dog River (sorta)
Posts: 8,557
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
So what if you were called a bigot, you will be called a lot more if you continue to officiate.
So what if an official is called a bigot? HUH????? WHACK! And pointing at me, too? Flagrant. See ya.

And if he gets called worse, I hope he Ts them up too.

Don't let something like this contribute to ABS - send him to the showers.
__________________
Pope Francis
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 17, 2006, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 14,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Other than the comment the assistant said, what the hell does this have to do with race?
Absolutely nothing. Does that mean he can't discuss it.

The fact is that it was a racist remark, and the fact is he chose to discuss it. If it had been a white coach that made a racist remark to a black official, you'd make a 10 page thread out of it. But I guess since the shoe's on the other foot this time, you don't consider it discussion worthy.
__________________
"...as cool as the other side of the pillow." - Stuart Scott

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
And the band played on. . . ChuckElias Basketball 8 Sun Feb 05, 2006 02:23am
Played out? debeau Softball 10 Mon May 02, 2005 03:09pm
14" of snow and still played mick Softball 2 Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:56pm
Thrown Out But Never Played Ump20 Baseball 2 Sun Mar 04, 2001 10:12am
6 Quarters Played? Game Forfiet? Pirate Basketball 4 Mon Feb 14, 2000 11:17pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:54am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1