The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

you make the call - more videos

Here is a great collection of video clips. Ignore the Lebron Nike commercial and Vince's dunk over Freddy Weiss, but please tell me what you think about the fighting situations and that foul during the jumpball. http://www.referee.pl/index.php?id=123
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Well I loved the soccer one where the coaches were teaching their players to fake getting bumped. LOL.

Travel or Not: Definitely a travel. The pivot foot was lifted well before the ball was released to start the dribble.

Boy, that foul on the jump ball would be a great catch to make for the U2. I saw the bump in regular motion but didn't see the grab until the close up slo-mo.

Interesting girl fight. A1 took offense to nothing other than a legit block attempt by B1 and did this lame little kick to the feet of a B2. Then B2 goes postal and starts beating the heck out of her. So A1 was wrong to play footsies but B2 went over the top. Hopefully the officials saw the whole thing. By the book, I guess you'd have to toss A1 as well as B2 since A1 "instigated" the fight with the footsies. But B2 deserves a nice long suspension.

Z
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Well I loved the soccer one where the coaches were teaching their players to fake getting bumped. LOL.

Travel or Not: Definitely a travel. The pivot foot was lifted well before the ball was released to start the dribble.

Boy, that foul on the jump ball would be a great catch to make for the U2. I saw the bump in regular motion but didn't see the grab until the close up slo-mo.

Interesting girl fight. A1 took offense to nothing other than a legit block attempt by B1 and did this lame little kick to the feet of a B2. Then B2 goes postal and starts beating the heck out of her. So A1 was wrong to play footsies but B2 went over the top. Hopefully the officials saw the whole thing. By the book, I guess you'd have to toss A1 as well as B2 since A1 "instigated" the fight with the footsies. But B2 deserves a nice long suspension.

Z
Oh man, she has 1 heckuva left cross!

Toss 'em both btw. Let the league administrators sort 'em out.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Yes, Dan...that is a heck of a left cross! How about the official who pulls her away...and basically has both hands on her chest. He could have been the target of a lawsuit afterward. That's why the consensus is for us to get away AFTER things like that start. No matter what are good intentions are, we could get burned.

She looks like she hits her in the face on the shot attempt. I wonder what happened to precipitate all this.

Last edited by Indy_Ref; Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 12:28pm.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Ref
Yes, Dan...that is a heck of a left cross! How about the official who pulls her away...and basically has both hands on her chest. He could have been the target of a lawsuit afterward. That's why tell us to get away AFTER things like that start. No matter what are good intentions are, we could get burned.
Yeah I saw that too...he sure did have his hands full.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:42pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Z
Z-man, you may want to look at that again. B2 clobbered A1 on the shot attempt and A1 then responded with the kick, followed by B2 going postal. B2 should have received a flagrant for the initial foul. B2 deserves a supsension for the foul and the fight. And of course, A1 would also get a fighting tech for the kick.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Nice clips

1) What is your decision, call or no call (blokowanie.avi): I would have no-called this. I can hardly see a contact between the two players even in slow motion and it rather seems the blue player looses balance on his own (and with no contact at all on the ankles). Official had a better angle than the camera anyway.

2) Travel or not? Traveling, of course! Just like this one (called on Iverson at the Olympic Games )

3) No comment on the Partizan-Hemofarm fight.

4) The odds are I would not be ready to call such a foul on a jump ball, but it's definitely worth an unsportsmanlike foul.

5) And yes, what a fly!

6) Eight seconds: the official applies correct ruling, but a no-call would have been far better in my opinion. Green 9 taps the ball in an area of the court where there are no white players. Immediately after that, the eight second violation occurs (2:17 on the game clock) but the official waits another two seconds and calls the violation just as green 9 again recovers the ball (thus ending control of the ball by white team). The official may have lost one or even two seconds in the count, but I see no point in calling a 8" seconds violation with the other team almost in control of the ball (and with an open three-point shot opportunity).

7) Would you call a travel? No, that was a fumble.
"Travelling is the illegal movement of one or both feet beyond the limits outlined in this article, in any direction, while holding a live ball on the court."

8) Women fight: official calls an unsportsmanlike foul against red (before the retaliation: excellent timing!) and then a disqualifying foul against yellow player. Right decision, in my opinion.

[email protected]
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
A1 would also get a fighting tech for the kick.
I'm quite sure the game was played under FIBA rules. A technical foul is a non-contact foul of a behavioural nature on this side of the ocean
I'd say that was only an unsportsmanlike foul and did not deserve a "red card", anyway.

Quote:
How about the official who pulls her away...and basically has both hands on her chest. He could have been the target of a lawsuit afterward.
Not in Europe

[email protected]

Last edited by TADW_Elessar; Mon Jul 10, 2006 at 12:58pm.
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
A1 took offense to nothing other than a legit block attempt by B1 and did this lame little kick to the feet of a B2. Then B2 goes postal and starts beating the heck out of her.
[sarcasm] I hope A1 learned a lesson from this incident. [/sarcasm]
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
[sarcasm] I hope A1 learned a lesson from this incident. [/sarcasm]
Note to self: Don't mess with Laila Ali's sparring partner....
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Z-man, you may want to look at that again. B2 clobbered A1 on the shot attempt and A1 then responded with the kick, followed by B2 going postal. B2 should have received a flagrant for the initial foul. B2 deserves a supsension for the foul and the fight. And of course, A1 would also get a fighting tech for the kick.
You are correct. I was watching the secondary defender and didn't see B2 come from behind. So that just makes it worse for B2. Intentional foul (or flagrant) followed by a flurry of punches. She's going to be sitting for a long time.

Z
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

just out of curiosity why is that a travel? pivot foot can be lifted as long as the ball is passed or shot or dribble started before the pivot foot returns to ground right?
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee
just out of curiosity why is that a travel? pivot foot can be lifted as long as the ball is passed or shot
right

Quote:
or dribble started before the pivot foot returns to ground right?
Wrong. The dribble must start before the pivot foot leaves the ground.

(Full disclosure: I didn't watch the video. I'm only responding to the question posed.)
Old Mon Jul 10, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

ahh thanks i tought 3 things could have happened