The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Being A Great Ref in a Bad Game

Hey guys, so here is the question...how do you stay in the game and still do the best job you can do when you get stuck with a really slow, unathletic, (freshmen) game? I mean I understand that not every game is going to be one of those sold out crowd, playoff type atmospheres. Still though the question remains, how do you as an official keep your head in the game, and still look and do your best when the game itself is subpar.

---James Dean
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

1. Remember that this game is important to the players, coaches and parents. Determine to give it the effort it deserves.
  2. Understand that it's probably going to be a crap game and that your mind will wander, and make a plan to keep your head in the game.
  3. Pick something, or a couple of somethings to work on. Doing so will help keep what's happening on the floor relevant to you.
Old Tue Jun 20, 2006, 08:24pm
Official & Member

Remind yourself that the reason you are there is for the kids (freshman,JV, girls, middle school rec league...). While they may look awful on the court, keep in mind that there are probably dozens of hours of practice and effort that have gone into the preparation for this contest. You owe it to them and their parents, and coaches to give them the best possible game. That is what you are BEING PAID FOR. You are a professional. they are not.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
This is a good question, and I think that the best answer so far is to find a couple of things to work on to improve in your game. Like what? Maybe you decide to work on your mehanics, stopping the clock, or at the table. Maybe you can work on finding the pivot foot on every touch. Maybe you can work on dealing with the coach. Whatever it is, find something that you can improve in your game and focus on that.

But even more than that, doing your best in a crap game is just something that has to come from inside yourself. You just have to want to do your best in every game. That sounds simple, but not everybody has it. You simply have to have some measure of internal motivation that prompts you to say that it's important to you to work hard and be your best.

If you don't have that, then all the little tricks won't help.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 07:22am
MABO Member

These replies have absolutely been the best advice I have ever read on this board. Way to go BITS, Z, and Chuck.

I couldn't agree more, remember that just because you see the game as dull and un-athletic those kids are pouring their hearts out on the floor. They deserve the best job you can provide in return.

When I have a young official working with me at the youth level I always ask them what 2 things they are going to work on that game, then I explain why and give suggestions. it is amazing how focused they stay in the game.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndevil99
Hey guys, so here is the question...how do you stay in the game and still do the best job you can do when you get stuck with a really slow, unathletic, (freshmen) game? I mean I understand that not every game is going to be one of those sold out crowd, playoff type atmospheres. Still though the question remains, how do you as an official keep your head in the game, and still look and do your best when the game itself is subpar.
As said above, pick things you need to work on. For example, your counts to see if they are in sync with the clock. Experiment with different floor positionings to see what gives you the best angles on various plays and match-ups. Pay attention to your mechanics. How is your posture during deadballs, time-outs, conversations with coaches. Takes peeks at your partner and see if he/she is doing anything you might want to steal.

Then there's also the "you never know who's watching" axiom. When a friend of mine was in her second season of officiating she was befriended by an NBA ref when she ref'd a girls 10U game out in the boonies. Two weeks ago I was ref'n a pretty poorly played 15U boys game, but it just so happened the best player on the court was the nephew of a WNBA/NBDL ref who happened to be in attendance. You always want to make a good impression.
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
As said above, pick things you need to work on. For example, your counts to see if they are in sync with the clock. Experiment with different floor positionings to see what gives you the best angles on various plays and match-ups. Pay attention to your mechanics. How is your posture during deadballs, time-outs, conversations with coaches. Takes peeks at your partner and see if he/she is doing anything you might want to steal.

Then there's also the "you never know who's watching" axiom. When a friend of mine was in her second season of officiating she was befriended by an NBA ref when she ref'd a girls 10U game out in the boonies. Two weeks ago I was ref'n a pretty poorly played 15U boys game, but it just so happened the best player on the court was the nephew of a WNBA/NBDL ref who happened to be in attendance. You always want to make a good impression.
DITTO! I agree
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yipper. At a camp I attended one of the evals told me that his try-out camp for D1 ball was a junior high rec tournament. Anyone who was heard complaining about the level of play was automatically crossed off the list. I'm not sure I agree with that philosophy, but it's out there. If you never complain about the game you're doing (well, if you're never HEARD complaining!), you can't ever be crossed off that list, eh?