The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Tough Situation #1

High level boys varsity game. I am lead table side (2-person mechanics). A1 beats his defender, B1, baseline. Gym is small and there is little room behind the baskets to drop back into. As I look to see if A1 steps out of bounds and if B1 might hold A1, B2 drops off his post match-up to block the endline. Because I am looking at the possible OOB or B1 hold, I dont get a good look to "referee the defense" B2 to see if he gets there in time. Collision, A1 winds up on the floor while B2 is standing with both feet in bounds. Difficult to see the entire play and trail was of no help. What would you do? Give up the possible OOB to get the block/charge? Stay with A1 and B1 and not get a great look at B2?
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Without seeing the play..........

Probably not the answer you were looking for but you have to see both. If the gym doesn't allow depth, you'd better work wide as the L to get a wide view. You have responsibility for that endline and (usually) secondary defender too so you just have to get back far enough to see the whole thing.

Sounds like a call that a strong trail might have been able to help you out with a delayed whistle too.

Z
Old Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Small gyms are the hardest to work L at any level - the T & C both have to be extra strong. In your play the T should have been ready to help on the crash. Having said that, I find in a small gym as L I don't need to actually "see" the OOB on the endline to make the OOB call. As the dribbler drives the endline look for contact by his defender and as he passes glance down to see where the dribbler just came from to determine OOB. Not as hard as it sounds. This way you can watch the dribbler, his defender and any secondary defender as they set up. But as I say if the L misses a crash the T has to have it.