View Single Post
Old Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sndevil99
Hey guys, so here is the question...how do you stay in the game and still do the best job you can do when you get stuck with a really slow, unathletic, (freshmen) game? I mean I understand that not every game is going to be one of those sold out crowd, playoff type atmospheres. Still though the question remains, how do you as an official keep your head in the game, and still look and do your best when the game itself is subpar.
As said above, pick things you need to work on. For example, your counts to see if they are in sync with the clock. Experiment with different floor positionings to see what gives you the best angles on various plays and match-ups. Pay attention to your mechanics. How is your posture during deadballs, time-outs, conversations with coaches. Takes peeks at your partner and see if he/she is doing anything you might want to steal.

Then there's also the "you never know who's watching" axiom. When a friend of mine was in her second season of officiating she was befriended by an NBA ref when she ref'd a girls 10U game out in the boonies. Two weeks ago I was ref'n a pretty poorly played 15U boys game, but it just so happened the best player on the court was the nephew of a WNBA/NBDL ref who happened to be in attendance. You always want to make a good impression.