The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Saugus, MA vs. Richmond, TX. Wow, what a great game!

14-13 MA in 7 after Richmond was down 10-4 in the sixth, then went up 13-10, but lost it in the bottom of the seventh.

Anyone see the "controversial" but good no call of obstruction at third?
Old Thu Aug 21, 2003, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigUmpJohn
Saugus, MA vs. Richmond, TX. Wow, what a great game!

14-13 MA in 7 after Richmond was down 10-4 in the sixth, then went up 13-10, but lost it in the bottom of the seventh.

Anyone see the "controversial" but good no call of obstruction at third?
BUJ,

Are you referring to the hit down the 3rd baseline? Wasn't the controversial call relating to Interference on the runner at third base not Obstruction by F5?

Michael
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 06:09am
Official Forum Member

That's what L.L. ball is supposed to be like.

Yes, I think that's the play he's talking about. BU3 didn't hesitate on his siganl of fair ball, and he had a good view of any interference that would've occured. Replays appeared to show that there was no contact, and although not required, I'd have had to see some contact on that play, to make an interference call, myself. I also thought the Saugus catcher obstructed on that one play at the plate in the 6th, but the Lamar kid got in anyway. If the catcher had held onto the ball, though, I could just see the kid getting called out to end the game.
It was a great LL game, and it's a shame that there had to be a loser in that one, but Saugus did what they had to do when it counted most.
On an unrelated note: that PU from Germany needs to hit the salad bar a little more often, and the buffet line a little less. Was he by any chance, the same umpire who blew the call at 2B in an earlier game, discussed here? It was obvious he can't move worth a hoot, as he had to get his (very sizeable) momentum going, just to get out of his crouch. His strike zone was very inconsistent. He also chastised one batter for stepping out of the box, before being granted a T.O., even telling the kid that he could've penalized him with a strike for that very action. I don't think so, pal. Just call the pitch.
Just another umpire that didn't belong there in a big game..........not like he's the first, though.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Yea, and did you see the signal for a foul tip when it was a foul ball back to the catcher. I think it was in the bottom of the 7th
NIF
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Replays appeared to show that there was no contact, and although not required, I'd have had to see some contact on that play, to make an interference call, myself.
I also thought the Saugus catcher obstructed on that one play at the plate in the 6th, but the Lamar kid got in anyway. If the catcher had held onto the ball, though, I could just see the kid getting called out to end the game.
Would someone explain the rule or judgement aspects of these plays for those of us who missed it?
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Same game that you are talking about. Last play of the game. BU called runner safe at first and he was clearly out. I realize I have the benefit of a replay, but I caught the blown call the first time I saw it live. Dave
Old Fri Aug 22, 2003, 11:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelVA2000
BUJ,

Are you referring to the hit down the 3rd baseline? Wasn't the controversial call relating to Interference on the runner at third base not Obstruction by F5?
Yes, that's what I was referring to. I guess I was poisoned by the way Harold Reynolds called it as obstruction. Good no call on the INTERFERENCE.

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Would someone explain the rule or judgement aspects of these plays for those of us who missed it?
Of course.

On the possible INT at 3B, there was a low bouncing ball hit down the line with R1 was running on contact. R1 jumped up to avoid the ball while he was about 2 feet ahead of F5. No contact was made at all. The ball hits the top of the glove of F5 in fair territory. It was touchy, but a good call.

On the possible INT at home, the catcher did set up on the 3B side of the plate well before the ball got there. The runner pretty much had to kick his legs behind and through the catcher to get to the plate. Had he held on to the ball, the runner would've been done.

The last call of the game was unfortunately wrong, but because the ball was thrown in the dirt, I probably would've called the runner safe as well under those circumstances.

It was a great game and all we can hope for is even better competition during the weekend.