Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 19, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
Dan - I completely agree. If you refereed a billion games, it probably is never going to happen. But IF it did happen, FIBA rules allow the refs to do something about it. NCAA rules don't. As Snaqwells said, the only bail-out is an inadvertant whistle. I believe that any possible sitch that results in the referee having to "accidently" blow their whistle is a bad one.
To tell you the truth I'm still not sure *why* we need to do anything about it, and the last thing I would do would be to hit the whistle. After all, it would be too much fun listening to coach B scream "GET THE BALL!!!! GET IT!!!!!! PICK UP THE ####ING BALL!!!" when his player refuses to go after it.

In theory you may have a point tho. I just don't think it's worth worrying about in practice.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Not true, Oz. There are rules that prevent either team from allowing the game to turn into an actionless contest. Further, the referee can rule on any situation not specifically covered in the rules.

10-1-1

The referee shall declare a forfeit when any player, squad member or bench personnel fails to comply with any technical-foul penalty or makes a travesty of the game.

10-1-3

The referee shall declare a forfeit when a team refuses to play after being instructed to do so by an official.

10-3-20

Delaying the game by preventing the ball from being promptly made live or by preventing continuous play. This shall also apply to bench personnel.

2-3-1

The referee shall be empowered to make decisions on any points not specifically covered in the rules.

It's not a problem, finding a way to deal with something that will never happen. The 5 second rule allows the thrower 5 seconds to release the ball. The FEEBLE rule does not allow him to do that.
For 10-1-1, there has been no technical foul for a team to comply with. Whether such action is a travesty is certain possible. The rules don't offer any suggestion of the types of acts that would be a travesty. I'm thinking of attempts to cheat or a coach refusing to leave after being DQ'd.

I believe 10-1-3 addresses a team that refuses/fails to take the court. It doesn't address the manner in which they play.

10-3-20 is not applicable either. That's to cover a player batting the ball in the stands on purpose or refusing to give the ball to an official when the ball is dead.

The only thing that is left in the officials pocket is 2-3...and it might be the best thing to use.

The official could go pick up the ball and walk over to a player and touch him with it to get the clock started.

In fact, if any of these rules were applicable, North Carolina would not have nearly so many wins....several of those contests were actionless.
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 03:40pm
Official Forum Member

Dean Smith's 4 Corners Offense was ingenious...he's a legend! I wonder how he was to officiate. Anyone have any good 2nd hand stories?
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust
For 10-1-1, there has been no technical foul for a team to comply with. Whether such action is a travesty is certain possible. The rules don't offer any suggestion of the types of acts that would be a travesty. I'm thinking of attempts to cheat or a coach refusing to leave after being DQ'd.

I believe 10-1-3 addresses a team that refuses/fails to take the court. It doesn't address the manner in which they play.

10-3-20 is not applicable either. That's to cover a player batting the ball in the stands on purpose or refusing to give the ball to an official when the ball is dead.

The only thing that is left in the officials pocket is 2-3...and it might be the best thing to use.
One man's assho....I mean, opinion.

Quote:
In fact, if any of these rules were applicable, North Carolina would not have nearly so many wins....several of those contests were actionless.
And if Aldoph Rupp had be willing to recruit black athletes, UK would have a lot more wins.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 08:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
One man's assho....I mean, opinion.

And if Aldoph Rupp had be willing to recruit black athletes, UK would have a lot more wins.
I guess when you are white you can make references about social issues.

Peace
Old Sat May 20, 2006, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Dean Smith's 4 Corners Offense was ingenious...he's a legend! I wonder how he was to officiate. Anyone have any good 2nd hand stories?
I agree that it was very ingenious...because it was legal and it accomplished the desired goal...a win. Doesn't mean it is an enjoyable style to watch.