The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 4.64 average. Display Modes
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 02:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Anyone see the 2OT PHX/LAC game last night?

They called an OB against LAC where the player clearly did not step on or over the OB line. Then an 8-second violation where only 6.8 seconds appeared to come off the game clock from inbound to whistle. Very odd, indeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes
I only caught part of this game, and saw one of the calls in question. On the OB call you are talking about, there were only 2 camera angles available, and both of them appeared that the player was inbounds, however, I wouldn't call it "clearly." The officials angle was from the opposite side of the camera angles that were replayed, and I would submit that he may have stepped on the line.

As for the 8 second violation, I did see that one on Sportscenter, but they didn't mention anything about the clock not supporting the call.
The replays that were shown definitely showed that the OOB call was incorrect. The official just had a poor angle. There are two things that we know about officiating. 1. angles are everything 2. the tape doesn't lie

As for the 8 second violation, remember that they use the shot clock to make this call, not the game clock. That is important here because PRIOR to resuming the game with the throw-in in the backcourt, LAC had possession of the ball inbounds and took a TO. Therefore, a second or two came off both the game clock and the shot clock while they had possession in the backcourt before the TO. When this is added to the 6.8 which you state came off after resuming play, the 8 second call is shown to be clearly correct. Two final points on this: 1. in the NBA the team does NOT receive a new 8 seconds to advance the ball following a TO or OOB as they do in NFHS and NCAA play. 2. The game clock was actually reset to 31 seconds following the call as the officials were able to determine with the table crew what was on the game clock when the shot clock started down from 24.
In short, they got this one right.
Old Thu May 18, 2006, 10:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
As for the 8 second violation, remember that they use the shot clock to make this call, not the game clock. That is important here because PRIOR to resuming the game with the throw-in in the backcourt, LAC had possession of the ball inbounds and took a TO. Therefore, a second or two came off both the game clock and the shot clock while they had possession in the backcourt before the TO. When this is added to the 6.8 which you state came off after resuming play, the 8 second call is shown to be clearly correct. Two final points on this: 1. in the NBA the team does NOT receive a new 8 seconds to advance the ball following a TO or OOB as they do in NFHS and NCAA play. 2. The game clock was actually reset to 31 seconds following the call as the officials were able to determine with the table crew what was on the game clock when the shot clock started down from 24.
In short, they got this one right.
That's why I thought it looked odd. I didn't realize that some time already came off the clock: I had my face covered in chicken wings at the time. When I looked up, I quickly did a subtraction and came up with 6.8.

So the table crew said the possession started with 39 then. That's cool.