The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Al
"Don't Swallow Bubble Gum" !

Tonight I offered one hind catcher a piece of gum. The next inning he tells me he can't make a bubble with it. I told him that's because it's chewing gum and not bubble gum. So after a couple of minutes he looks up at me and says I'm glad it's not bubble gum because I swallowed it and I don't want a bubble coming out of my butt....LOL!!!

I told a few of the people behind the back-stop what he said and they all got a good laugh out of it. I told them I gotta write that down. After I said that I realized it sounded like I wanted to write it down so I wouldn't forget not to swallow bubble gum!

I wouldn't trade this part time job for anything. The only bad part is the end of the season is getting close and I'm gonna miss these special times.

P.S. A coach from one of the T-ball teams has a daughter who plays for the Twisters coach pitch team. He made a video recording of the game. It happened to be the game that I ejected the Bears head coach from. He picked a good game to record! He said he made me a copy of it, but he forgot to bring it to the game tonight. He told me that it came out great and the two calls that were argued showed clearly I made the right calls. I have to wait till next week to see it. I sure look forward to watching it. I think when I see and hear the "one more" or the "if" to both the assistant and the head coach I can be thankful to you guys that I'll see it for what it really was, which was a very poor job. I would probably have thought I did pretty well had I not gotten some sound advice and guidance from the good group of umpires on this forum. ...Later, ...Al
Old Tue May 09, 2006, 11:21pm
Official Forum Member

Al,
Quit kicking yourself. You aren't the first to let it slide and you won't be the last. Besides, you did do the right thing, it just took a while. The best thing to do is to learn from it and then go to the next game. The stories that you share are far more influential in the lives of these people than the one time you goofed.

Dwell on failure long enough to learn its lesson and dwell on success long enough to learn not to get used to it.

After all, Isn't it fun at the old ball park?

Softball in the Bible
"In the big-inning"