The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Elbow - with video!

Ok, in keeping with my goal to use more video this summer, this is video of an elbow called during a game I taped (HS boys, JV trying to make V next year):

http://safaripass.com/elbow.AVI

I thought this was a good call, as the offensive player pushes the defender away with his elbow [pesky defender]. I think that especially with some of the elbows in the NBA playoffs being highlighted, and lauded, that HS players will think a bit more about how to use the elbow in 'legally acceptable' ways. This player was projecting obvious bewilderment about the call, but it will give him something to think about.

If you believe attaching the video with the thread did not help in this case, please let me know. The real goal of filming this summer is to find plays that are taped from different angles [we had two cameras at this game] and find some good examples of how positioning put the official in the right position to make a call. Ideally, we can have a DVD for training purposes on which commentary is provided by a trainer. I know that learners/studiers (depth-first, as described by Back In The Saddle) like me would benefit.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Good call. No raised fist before the P/C signal though (mechanics). The official's signals are so fast that I didn't even see the hand behind the head the first time I watched it. Might be that the player didn't even know what the ref called which was why he was bewildered.

Z
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No raised fist before the P/C signal though (mechanics). The official's signals are so fast that I didn't even see the hand behind the head the first time I watched it.
right call, poor mechanics. Give it to your assignor. He could use this as a training video..
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

This is a foul. When I saw the thread title, I was expecting to see someone get called for throwing an elbow, but without contacting anyone.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:07pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by REFVA
right call, poor mechanics. Give it to your assignor. He could use this as a training video..
And as an assignor I would say "During a summer league game? Who gives a sh!t about mechanics as long as he got the call right".

He was in position and made the right call. Hell....that's good enough for me.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"During a summer league game? Who gives a sh!t about mechanics as long as he got the call right".
And why use it for summer league only. Why can't he use it during HS season? Is that all you expect, is the right call?
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And why use it for summer league only. Why can't he use it during HS season? Is that all you expect, is the right call?
I gave you my opinion as an assignor. We have enough problems getting warm bodies out for some of these off-season games without going all-anal on the people too. It just ain't a biggie imo.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During a summer league game? Who gives a sh!t about mechanics as long as he got the call right".
And Again I ask why use it for summer league only. why not carry that video into regular season. I Got your point "warm body". Take it to next step. Teach him what he can do to improve.. During regular season you may have a NFHS official observing the game. Don't you wish you would have used the video.

Last edited by REFVA; Mon May 15, 2006 at 02:34pm.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 03:03pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
And Again I ask why use it for summer league only. why not carry that video into regular season. I Got your point "warm body". Take it to next step. Teach him what he can do to improve.. During regular season you may have a NFHS official observing the game. Don't you wish you would have used the video.
REFVA, I'm not saying that the official that made that call is nothing but a warm body. I'm saying he was in position and got the call right. He did his job. That's good enough for me during summer rec ball.

I worry more about officials getting the call right than looking pretty all the time. Again, jmo. Take it or leave it.
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Just a question from a coach. Is the video in fast time? The official is counting (?) and it looks really fast to me until the foul.
thanks,
Coach GBert
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with others with respect to improving your mechanics. Seems like the PC foul is rushed and you seem to do a foot shuffle as you call the foul. In these situations we're eager to make the correct call and you might be excited about seeing an elbow, but just compose yourself, raise your fist and slowly signal the PC. I know it's summer ball, but does your association allow you to "walk and talk" while you report your foul?

I also agree with Coach Gbert...your count seems very fast. I don't think the video is in fast time as the play develops at a normal speed.

I think it's fantastic that you're using your summer to improve your game with video. My best feedback is when I watch film of myself because I'm more critical of me than anyone else could be. I nitpick myself to perfection, but I still find it's hard to sometimes translate what you know cognitively to on-the-court. Perfect practice makes perfect!
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachgbert
Just a question from a coach. Is the video in fast time? The official is counting (?) and it looks really fast to me until the foul.
thanks,
Coach GBert
Heck...since we're dogging ol' jennings on his mechanics...how bout' the "walkin' n talkin'" he's doing?

Actually, I'm with JR, jennings looks pretty crisp (for summer league)...and he made a great call with no hesitation...IMO.

Also...it looks like this official has confidence in what he is calling and a good court presence.
Richland, WA
Old Mon May 15, 2006, 10:43pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
I gave you my opinion as an assignor. We have enough problems getting warm bodies out for some of these off-season games without going all-anal on the people too. It just ain't a biggie imo.
JR, I'd take it one step further -- those mechanics would be absolutely fine in any varsity game in my area, too. Crisp, clean, decisive.

And nit-picking the reporting in summer ball? I can't believe the OP got as close to the table as he did. Step out, report, no switch. When I worked rec ball, we'd do 3-5 games in a row.

The count was quick, though.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 12:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Orignally posted by RookieDude
jennings looks pretty crisp
No, I'm the one videotaping - it is really tough to get anyone to videotape games and I figure on making it a focus on mine this year as a division representative in our local chapter. I had one of my sons on the other camera. The official in the film has about seven years under his belt but is quite happy with working HS ball - a very hard worker!

No, we are discouraged from walking-and-reporting and that is one bad habit I have not developed. Maybe after I clean up other areas of my game I will pick up that one!
I had not picked up on the fact that his count was fast.

Also, if any of you make a habit of filming games and have suggestions on how to make the best film, I would appreciate it. The digital cameras are nice for a number of reasons, but I was a bit disappointed in the quality of the video. Once you project this stuff onto a big screen then the image is pixelated so badly it's tough to watch. Next game I'm going to play with the camera settings.
Old Tue May 16, 2006, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
it is really tough to get anyone to videotape games and I figure on making it a focus on mine this year as a division representative in our local chapter. I had one of my sons on the other camera. The official in the film has about seven years under his belt but is quite happy with working HS ball - a very hard worker!
Thanks JKJennings for explaining, So as I previously mentioned this is for training. So he is not videotaping for the fun of it. I go back to my previous post. Good training video. Get the mechanics down perfect. All I was saying, summer ball, rec ball is where you work on your mechanics. This is your training for regular season. Get into bad habits now, they are hard to break later. that is IMO. This is where you turn your warm body into a great official..