The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Another NBA Inadvertent Whistle

David Jones had this one. I only caught the tail end of the play, but someone for SA had the ball at the top of the key. I believe that he had already used his dribble. He tried to throw a pass to a nearby teammate who vacated and the ball bounced on the floor. The original player ran over to it, but didn't touch it. He merely screened it with his body and allowed his intened teammate to come collect it. However the Trail official, David Jones, had already blown the whistle mistakenly believing that the passer was going to touch the ball.
So far not really a big deal. It happens. However, what I found interesting was the way the game was restarted. They had a jumpball in the center circle. I have to wonder about the correctness of that. Of course, I know squat about the NBA rules, so I can't make a determination. I do know that when Javie had his the other night, there was no team or player control due to the shot that was taken. Also, I know that the NFHS and NCAA rules on this. The Javie play would have gone to the arrow under NFHS or NCAA rules, but the Jones play would simply have resumed at the POI with the same team retaining possession.
So Chuck or anyone out there who knows the NBA rule a little help would be nice. For the rest of us we can all learn a little from seeing it happen to the best in the business.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I looked briefly through my rulebook, but I can't see why this would be a jump ball. The rules say that an inadvertant whistle is treated as a suspension of play; after a suspension of play, the game is resumed at the POI; and the POI is defined merely as where the ball was when the whistle sounded. Not much help there.

My guess, without having seen the play, is that perhaps a defender tipped the ball at some point before the whistle. This would have created a loose ball situation and ended team control. Thus, the jump ball would be required. If there was still team control, I honestly don't know why they would've jumped it up.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
My guess, without having seen the play, is that perhaps a defender tipped the ball at some point before the whistle. This would have created a loose ball situation and ended team control. Thus, the jump ball would be required. If there was still team control, I honestly don't know why they would've jumped it up.
Nope, that's not what happened.

Ginoboli had the ball near the top of the key after the Spurs had pushed the ball up the floor. He turned to pass the ball to Duncan. But Duncan was still in the BC. But he released the pass to the point that it was a pass but it didn't enter the BC. Manu then screened anyone else from getting it as Tim rushed into the FC. Jones whistled before Ginoboli or Duncan touched it. No defender touched the ball.

Should have been Spurs ball as team control had not ended.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

It was a transition play, Ginoboli changed his mind about a 3-point shot, "knew" Duncan was trailing him and turned to pass back to Duncan - oops, Duncan is standing, for whatever reason, in the backcourt waiting to see if they score(?) before entering the FC, so Ginoboli reacts by running to his pass, which is bouncing on the court - he almost touches it, but then begins blocking access to the ball from the defenders [no contact because the defenders are reacting slow as well] and as Duncan runs to collect the ball a whistle blows because the official anticipated Ginoboli touching the ball.

There was no defensive touch, but I figured since the whistle happened when there was no player control you had to have a jump ball.

It was an ugly game for the Spurs and the officials. The Spurs were bobbling the ball and looked tired (probably were); the officials probably were not too happy either, but certainly noone could argue that the outcome of the game hinged on them - it just made it look like a sloppier game. Javie has been known to San Antonians for many years and at one point a chant that sounded, though the TV, like "Javie $ucks" resounded through the arena... I believe it was after this missed call, though it was not Javie's whistle.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

I have this tivo'd. Does anyone know where this is in the game? Quarter & Time?
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

I only saw the 2nd half, so I would guess somewhere towards the middle/end of the 3rd quarter.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

From TV the chant sounded like, "Ref you suck!" after Javie called a block on Brent Barry. I'm not a fanboy, but I thought that Javie got the call wrong. No replay was shown so it's tough to say with 100% certainty. Barry looked like he was clearly established and was outside the restraining circle.

After David Jones' inadvertent whistle I wonder if he's going to move onto the next round. I've had a couple brown pops with him before and he's a quality guy. Unfortunately, I don't think he's made it to the Finals despite working in the league for a while. Steve Javie's already gotten to the Finals several times, so I don't think his inadvertent whistle will hurt him as much.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 05:38pm
Huck Finn

Yeah, I doubt it will hurt Javie. He is easily considered on of the top 5 officials in the NBA.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Still trying to figure out who gave Avery the T and why.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

What did Van Exel do to get tossed?

Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

Javie got the Berry call wrong. No question. The TV angle was perfect; Berry had been there a day and a half; and the contact was clearly initiated by the Dallas player.

I've never seen a basketball team that whines more than SA does. Its incredible. They act like they've never committed a foul and anytime there isn't a call on the other team, the officials are screwing up.

Van Excel got tossed for 2 T's. He said something after (I think) Finley fouled someone. Then, when he went to the bench, he tossed a towel out on the floor. I immediately said, T, but I didn't think any official saw it. But they did and he was gone. He's a thug, anyway. If he retires, no one will miss him.
Old Wed May 10, 2006, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie
Javie got the Berry call wrong. No question. The TV angle was perfect; Berry had been there a day and a half; and the contact was clearly initiated by the Dallas player.
I thought the play should have been a no call.

Did anyone else see that Mark Cuban was fined $200,000 today for coming onto the floor on Sunday and for remarks on his blog?

He's an idiot.

Old Wed May 10, 2006, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
I thought the play should have been a no call.
I don't think you could have had a no call with the amount of contact...it was a wreck and "something" needed to be called. The contact was solid on Barry's chest and should've been a charge.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 03:19am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie

I've never seen a basketball team that whines more than SA does. Its incredible. They act like they've never committed a foul and anytime there isn't a call on the other team, the officials are screwing up.

Van Excel got tossed for 2 T's. He said something after (I think) Finley fouled someone. Then, when he went to the bench, he tossed a towel out on the floor. I immediately said, T, but I didn't think any official saw it. But they did and he was gone. He's a thug, anyway. If he retires, no one will miss him.
San Antonio whine? Give me a break ! You have to be one of those maverick fans. The Spurs are one of the teams in the league that talks less to the officials than most. Tim gets respect from officials and when he talks they usually listen. Pop is not a whining coach for the most part. He works the ref like they all do, but all in all the Spurs are about the classiest team around. I cannot say the same for mark cuban and his mavs.... Jerry Stackhouse is one of the biggest whiners in the NBA as is Dirk (fadeaway jumper..still want the call) Nowitski. cuban keeps a notebook on the refs and tries to intimidate them by pointing out every call he THINKS they missed and calling the league office. The only thing I like about the mavericks is Avery Johnson and his assistant that he brought over from the Spurs !

GO SPURS GO !.... I think I would root for the Iranian National Team over the Dallas Mavericks !

Last edited by dave30; Thu May 11, 2006 at 03:24am.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 03:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dribble
From TV the chant sounded like, "Ref you suck!" after Javie called a block on Brent Barry.
I'm pretty confident that Javie's name was in that chant. You have to realize that for the past ten or so years Javie has been an object of disdain around San Antonio. The only time the local news had to bleep out the Admiral [David Robinson, of course] was during comments he made after a game Javie worked.

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
San Antonio whine? Give me a break
Now, I'm a huge Spurs fan, but I have to say that while I agree that San Antonio is generally a team that 'plays on', Duncan often is a glaring exception - his response to calls/no-calls is an area he could easily improve in, imo.
No animosity here towards the Mavericks - I'll take any Texas team over an out-of-state team, but Spurs first. The bracketing this year was especially lousy for the West. I thought I saw a blip on the news about Stern apologizing to the Spurs for the schedule they had to keep between game 6 (Kings) and game 1 (Mavs).