The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

I am almost embarrassed to ask this, but here goes. What is the procedure to put the ball back in play after an inadvertent whistle? Football deals with this, but I can't find it in the NF basketball rules.

This happened to me last night and it stopped play. I thought it went back to the team who was in possession at the point of interuption, but one of my fellow officials said it went to AP, which gave it to the other team.

Can someone answer this please WITH a NF citing?
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to zebracz
No, you are right, Ilini. It's point of interruption. The only time you'd go to AP, would be if no team had control when the inadvert blew. I donno. Lol
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
If there is team control, play is resumed by giving a throw-in to the team in control at the time of the inadvertant whistle. See FED case 7.5.4, or NCAA 7-5-19
Old Sat Dec 13, 2003, 01:31am
We don't rent pigs

Inadvertent whistles: an abomination. To me there is no more hollow feeling than to blow the whistle, for no apparent reason. But a funny thing happened. A couple of weeks ago, jr. high tournament, 4 games. I had 2 inadvertents in 1 day. The only time that ever happened, honest. Both of them were no excuse screw-ups. One I called a girl OOB for standing on the line when she wasn't.
She froze and looked down at her own foot, up at me, and back at her foot. As I got to the line (tough angle, right in the corner, really) and saw the 1/4 inch between shoe and line I patted my own chest, "My bad, blue ball." On the other a boy drove toward the basket, pulled up, picked up his dribble, and then immediately put the ball back on the floor. Just as I blew the whistle to signal the double, I realized that he was attempting a short bounce pass into the post. Nobody even knew what the phantom call was this time. Just the now familiar signal, "My bad, red ball." Both times I heard a single voice from the stands,
"So why'd ya blow the whistle?" Why indeed. The funny part is that one of the coaches involved and my partner both complimented (unsolicited, so I guess they weren't just being kind) the way I handled both and corrected my own mistakes smoothly. Professionalism? Perhaps. But not the kind you hope to practice often.

You've been a great crowd. Thanks for listening.

Lonesome Dove