The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

Technical fouls. etc..

Are all technical fouls counted toward team fouls including indirect techncal fouls againt coaches?

Question 2. If a shooter A accidental scores a basket at the wrong end of the court. i.e scores a basket for the other team B, and while doing this is fouled by team B, what is the ruling?
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Q1. Depends on your ruleset. Which one are you referring to?

Q2. We discussed this a couple weeks ago. Do NOT count the basket, the foul is a common foul and the ball is inbounded by team A at the nearest point of the infraction. i.e. it cannot be a shooting foul because the player was not by definition in the act of shooting.

Check out the original thread: fouled while "shooting" at wrong basket

(I just edited my post to reflect the correct statement.)

Last edited by Dribble; Sun May 14, 2006 at 11:39am.
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 11:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Not sure which rules set you would be talking about. NF and NCAA have Ts go toward team fouls. I believe FIBA is the same, but FIBA does not count.

Peace
Old Sat May 13, 2006, 11:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Q2. We discussed this a couple weeks ago. If the ball was released prior to the foul, then count the basket.
Not true. Since this is not a try, the foul causes the ball to become dead immediately. If the ball has not passed through the hoop, the basket does not count.

Z
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
NF and NCAA have Ts go toward team fouls. I believe FIBA is the same
Well, it's not quite the same

FIBA rules:
38.4.1 If a technical foul is committed:
[...]
• By a coach (‘C’), assistant coach (‘B’), substitute (‘B’) or team follower (‘B’), a technical foul shall be charged against the coach and shall not count as one of the team fouls.

[email protected]
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 02:27am
Administrator

Quote:

Q2. We discussed this a couple weeks ago. If the ball was released prior to the foul, then count the basket, but the foul is a common foul and the ball is inbounded by team A at the nearest point of the infraction. i.e. it cannot be a shooting foul because the player was not by definition in the act of shooting.

With regard to Question #2: The basket does not count. A1's throwing the ball at Team B's basket is not an attempt (Unless the game is being played under FIBA rules and I am not going to go into the definition right now; while I know the definition I will let one of our members from overseas or Canada explain.) B1's foul is a common foul and causes the ball to become dead immediately.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 02:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to TADW_Elessar Send a message via Skype™ to TADW_Elessar
Quote:
With regard to Question #2: The basket does not count. A1's throwing the ball at Team B's basket is not an attempt (Unless the game is being played under FIBA rules and I am not going to go into the definition right now; while I know the definition I will let one of our members from overseas or Canada explain.) B1's foul is a common foul and causes the ball to become dead immediately.
Same for FIBA rules (15.1, 10.3), but with an exception:

Official FIBA Interpretations 2004:

The Art. 9 clarifies which basket a team is to defend and which basket it is to attack. If by confusion any period begins with both teams attacking/defending the wrong baskets, the situation shall be corrected as soon as it is discovered, without placing either team at a disadvantage. Any points scored, time used, fouls charged, etc. before the stopping of the game remain valid.

Example 1:
After the start of a period, the officials realise that both teams are playing in the wrong direction.
Interpretation:
The game shall be stopped as soon as possible and without placing either team at a disadvantage. Teams shall exchange baskets. The game shall be resumed from the mirror-opposite place nearest to where the game was stopped.

Example 2:
At the beginning of a period, team A is attacking/defending the correct basket when B4 by loss of orientation dribbles to the incorrect basket and scores a field goal.
Interpretation:
The two points shall be awarded to the captain of team A.

Therefore, we would count the basket and give a FT on the opposite side.
Note that this is only valid if the action takes place immediatly after the beginning of the 3rd period, and with both teams attacking/defending the wrong basket. In any other situation, the throw would not be considered an attempt and the ball would become dead immediately.

[email protected]
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
NF and NCAA have Ts go toward team fouls.
Just to clarify this comment. In FED rules, all T's (except indirect T charged to coaches) count toward the team foul count. In NCAA, some T's count toward the team foul count (unsportsmanlike T's and intentional T's), but some do not (administrative T's, hanging on the rim T's, etc.).
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 10:29am
Official Forum Member

Sorry, my fault with respect to Q2. Popped a couple Benadryls last night for my allergies and was a little drowsy! True story!

I edited my earlier post to reflect the correct rules and added a link to the earlier thread.

Last edited by Dribble; Sun May 14, 2006 at 11:40am.
Old Sun May 14, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Just to clarify this comment. In FED rules, all T's (except indirect T charged to coaches) count toward the team foul count. In NCAA, some T's count toward the team foul count (unsportsmanlike T's and intentional T's), but some do not (administrative T's, hanging on the rim T's, etc.).
Exactly...NF, NCAA and FIBA all have different rules on this.