The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I have Two questions

1. A-1 is driving toward the basket for an apparant goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the Head coach of Team B. How should the official rule this situation?
2. A-1 is driving toward the basket. B-1 is in legal guarding position. As play progresses, B-1 acting as though charged, falls to the floor. The official rules a technical foul on B-1. Is the official correct?

Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

In the first instance,from what you described I envision A1 driving for a layup. I'm not going to take away this opportunity away from A, so I'd wait until the try is made or not and them turn around and bang the coach. In the second instance I have nothing.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by readingofficial
I have Two questions

1. A-1 is driving toward the basket for an apparant goal when the official, while trailing the play advancing in the direction in which the ball is being advanced, is cursed by the Head coach of Team B. How should the official rule this situation?
2. A-1 is driving toward the basket. B-1 is in legal guarding position. As play progresses, B-1 acting as though charged, falls to the floor. The official rules a technical foul on B-1. Is the official correct?

NFHS rules:

1)NCAA Ref was correct. This play is almost word-for-word with casebook play 10.4.1SitC.
2)A T can be called on the defender for an unsporting act, if he flops with no contact. It could also be ignored,or a warning could be issued. It's basically up to each individual official. There used to be a case book play on this one,too, that stated that you could call a T- but it's disappeared with age.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to N_Stripes
Arrow

For situation #2, there is more to the story. What happens with B-1 after their flop? Did they impede A-1's drive to the basket? Did A-1 miss the shot and B-1 is still on the floor "blocking" A-3 from getting to the basket for a rebound. Is A-3 trying to get into a position to receive an ally-opp from A-1 but B-1's "illegal screen" prevents this. On their feet, B-1 occupies 2 square feet of floor, ont their back, B-1 occupies 12 square feet.
If I do not call a T for the blatent unsporting flop, then I most certainly will call a block or an illegal screen. A flop should not go unpunished as it not only puts others at a dissadvantage and it is an unsafe tactic that could cause injury to themself as well as others.
Old Wed Jan 28, 2004, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes you can talk a player out of getting a T

I have seen some bad acting on flops. They are usually associated with a loud AAAARGH. I hold my whistle and let the play proceed. I have mentioned to the player not to try to flop on me. Also, I sometimes need to let the coach know too as they only see the flop.

They get one warning. After that, it will either be a block or a T. I have only had to call a T once.