The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I am getting ready to do my first hight school game here within the next two weeks and im still not certain about a few things. One of them is about technical fouls. Why is it that at times a team may shoot only one free throw and the ball and other two shots and the ball. Ive seen it before, maybe thats a pro or college rule. On a double technical what is the ruling for that, are they off-setting fouls or do both of the teams get shots. I know it may sound like a dumb question but its one that im not certain of.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Mo Peete

All T's should be 2 shots and award the ball for throw-in at the division line, unless it is at the end of the game and the 1st shot is good which results in the shooting team winning the game.

If you have simultaneous T's on opposing teams you will record them in the book (Both Coaches are now "seat-belted" ) and use the alternate possession arrow to award the ball for throw-in at the division line.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

technical fouls

Thanks willie, that makes it all good for me now.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Mo Peete

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
If you have simultaneous T's on opposing teams you will record them in the book (Both Coaches are now "seat-belted" )
The coaches are only seat-belted if the technicals are on the coaches or on their bench personnel. If the two technical fouls are assessed to players, then the coaches are not given indirects.

Also, the seat belt rule only applies to high school. In NCAA, the coach may still stand after he or his bench receives a technical foul.

Chuck
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

technicals

Chuck, does seatbelted mean that the coaches must remain in their chairs for the duration of the game. Also, if they are seatbelted for the duration, if they were to get up from their chair are they immediately ejected?
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Mo,

Some states (including Massachusetts, where I live) use a coaching box for HS games. The head coaches are allowed to stand and coach their teams within this 6' or 14' area.

However, (1) in states that do not allow a coaching box, or (2) after a coach has received a direct or indirect technical foul, the head coach is not allowed to stand except under very specific circumstances. This is what most us refer to as being "seat belted". For a complete list of when a head coach may stand during the game, see rule 10-5, articles 1 and 2.

Rising to coach his team while "seat belted" is not grounds to eject the head coach. It can result in a technical foul, but usually will simply generate a stern reminder to find a chair.

In case you're unfamiliar with "direct" and "indirect" technical fouls, very briefly:

Direct: a direct technical foul is one that is charged to the coach himself, usually for unsportsmanlike behavior or for berating an official. If a coach gets 2 of these, he is ejected.

Indirect: an indirect technical foul is charged to the head coach when a member of his bench personnel is charged with a technical foul. An indirect technical does not carry any penalty of its own, but 3 indirect technicals (or 2 indirects plus 1 direct) charged to the head coach result in the coach's ejection. This happens when an assistant coach swears at the official, or when a bench warmer leaves the bench area during a fight, among other situations.

I hope that is clear. After re-reading it, I'm not so sure.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Re: Mo Peete

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
All T's should be 2 shots and award the ball for throw-in at the division line, unless it is at the end of the game and the 1st shot is good which results in the shooting team winning the game.

If you have simultaneous T's on opposing teams you will record them in the book (Both Coaches are now "seat-belted" ) and use the alternate possession arrow to award the ball for throw-in at the division line.
Willie should have also mentioned that with simultaneous or double technical fouls NO shots are awarded if the number of players or coaches on both sides committing these fouls are equal. Of course, Willie knows this, but since you asked in your original question, I just wanted to be very clear.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Technicals

Got you, thanks a lot!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 04:30pm
Official Forum Member

I stuck an assistant last night within the first two minutes of the game, which is VERY rare for me (any tech is). I gave him the stop sign and decided he wanted to run through it. Let's just say that when my partner advised the head coach that she must remain seated for the duration of the game, she was not too pleased with her assistant.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Refneck
Let's just say that when my partner advised the head coach that she must remain seated for the duration of the game, she was not too pleased with her assistant.
I love this call! Nothing will get an assistant coach under control for the rest of the season faster than to make the head coach have to be punished because of the assisant's behavior.
When I call this, I clearly state, "Coach that is on your assistant, right here," while I point to the offender. Then I make the head coach sit and make sure the head coach understands why he is sitting.