The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
If that's the case, then anyone (coach or player) who missiles a ball towards an official should be suspended also. Haslem threw his mouthpiece along the floor and it never had a chance of hitting nor injuring Crawford. He got his punishment, ejection from the game. This is overkill.
I know if anyone 'missles' a ball at me then they are going to get a flagrant T.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

story/ video

for those who have not seen the ejection, the story link is below...

http://www.nba.com/games/20060422/CHIMIA/recap.html

click on nba tv highlights in the top middle for the video...

haslem clearly threw the mouthpiece at crawford...
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Clearly intentional and uncalled for. He should be suspended a game, this type of reaction must be punished by the league swiftly and severely. Anything less will send the wrong message to everyone.

BTW: the last time I heard of an official having a ball "missiled" at him, the official wasn't looking, got hit in the head and was knocked unconscious. I don't see how anyone could tolerate that sort of crap.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

one game suspension

haslem out for game 2...

http://www.nba.com/news/haslem_060424.html
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Crawford assessed only 1 T on Haslem - the Bulls shot 1 FT and then inbounded the ball at the POI.

Did anybody see/hear the conversation between Crawford and D Wade just after it happen? ESPN had microphones on Crawford and captured the brief conversation/explanation. It was a perfect exchange between a captain and an official - Wade respectfully asked what happened and Crawford calmly gave a brief recap of why Haslem was mad, his intenionally flagrant action, and the result.

By the way, the ESPN crew - Tirico, Walton, "Snapper" Jones - was right on target w/ their call of the play and analysis of the replay. They even pointed out that while everyone in the arena was upset, the Heat bench was pretty quiet (only the bench really saw what happened).

Kudos to the NBA for the 1 game suspension - certainly deserved.
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 07:05pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Had this one this past weekend:

A1 and B1 going for the loose ball near A1's FC endline. A1 misses and ends up on his belly with just his feet on the IB/OB line. The rest of him is OB. B1 gets the ball and totally has control, and is not losing his balance. Maybe B1 didn't know it, but B2 was only 8-10 feet away, wide open to accept a pass from B1. However, what does B1 do? Throws the ball at the back of A1.

What was the call? (Fed)
Old Tue Apr 25, 2006, 08:18pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee
Had this one this past weekend:

A1 and B1 going for the loose ball near A1's FC endline. A1 misses and ends up on his belly with just his feet on the IB/OB line. The rest of him is OB. B1 gets the ball and totally has control, and is not losing his balance. Maybe B1 didn't know it, but B2 was only 8-10 feet away, wide open to accept a pass from B1. However, what does B1 do? Throws the ball at the back of A1.

What was the call? (Fed)
Judgement call.

If you thought that B1 was just trying to save the ball, then call it OOB off of A1 and give team B a spot throw-in. Or.....if you thought it was an unsporting act by B1 to throw the ball at A1, then nail B1 with a "T" of some kind.

Your choice....you were there.

What did you do?
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:37am
Official Forum Member

Players throwing mouthpieces at officials?!?!

I'd say that Chuck better be on the lookout, since MA requires their HS players to wear them.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:27am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Judgement call.
Quote:
totally has control, and is not losing his balance
Did you miss this part?

Quote:
Your choice....you were there.

What did you do?
The official properly assessed a technical foul; I was just watching the game.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 05:42am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Did you miss this part?

The official properly assessed a technical foul; I was just watching the game.
Nope, sure didn't. It's still up to the calling official to decide why B1 threw the ball....and I personally like to leave that to the official that saw the play and had to make the call over just reading about it on this forum.

Jmo, but if you're evaluating an official, this is the type of call that you want to ask about and discuss with an official...to get his thoughts and rationalization.... before making up your mind whether he handled that particular situation correctly or not. Again, jmo.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Players throwing mouthpieces at officials?!?!

I'd say that Chuck better be on the lookout, since MA requires their HS players to wear them.
So does Vermont, and I think NH does too. Dumb rule IMO, but I don't make that decision.

I've never had that happen to me, but I did once assess a T for mouthguard situation. During play A4 dropped his mouthguard. We allowed play to continue and the ball went the other way in transition. As A4 was bending down to retrieve the mouthpiece, B4 (now with his team on offense) kicked the mouthpiece so that A4 had to chase it down. I felt this was unsportsmanlike and prevented A4 from playing defense. So I whacked him.
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

Is it just me or did I read Crawford's lips correctly????? Did he tell Haslem to "get your a$$ out of here"????? Anyone else read that?
Old Wed Apr 26, 2006, 10:55pm
Official Forum Member

no, I heard the sound bite and he didn't swear. he'd get fined by the league if he did. (not that that hasn't happened before for him!)
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:33am

Quote:
Nope, sure didn't. It's still up to the calling official to decide why B1 threw the ball....and I personally like to leave that to the official that saw the play and had to make the call over just reading about it on this forum.

Jmo, but if you're evaluating an official, this is the type of call that you want to ask about and discuss with an official...to get his thoughts and rationalization.... before making up your mind whether he handled that particular situation correctly or not. Again, jmo.
Well, in its own way, every call is up to the calling official. I understand that you're stance here on the forum has been very supportive of the officials and their take on the games they work.

Believe me, if I was evaluating an official and I saw this act, I would ask about it and then issue a positive remark for an immediate T. In fact, pretty much any play brought up should be handled as such. But then there are some game situations that debating is just an exercise is wasting air. A good evaluator can skip some of the 'pleasantries' and just say "good job" on the call.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2006, 12:34am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
no, I heard the sound bite and he didn't swear. he'd get fined by the league if he did. (not that that hasn't happened before for him!)
Is a$$ a swear word? I never thought it was. I dunno.....