The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Udonis Ejection

Did anyone else see that great ejection by Joey Crawford on Udonis Haslem? What was Haslem thinking by tossing his mouthguard??? In NFHS that's a flagrant T in my mind, so automatic ejection, too.
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 08:16pm
Do not give a damn!!

Question 1 or 2

Did he get one T or two?

Peace
Old Sat Apr 22, 2006, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

He gave him a double T...
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 07:34am
Official Forum Member

I saw it. Mr. Crawford looked plenty upset. But I thought he only gave him one T and tossed him. I believe the announcers said he got two, but I think that's possibly because they saw him giving the "you're outta here" hand signals. When they showed the longest replay of the incident (at least the longest one I saw) it looked like Mr. Crawford only gave the "T" sign once and tosssed him.

I also remember an announcer making a quick remark about if he should have waited to call the T until Chicago's fast break was over. I don't know how the NBA refs are supposed to call the T...during a fast break...but it's an interesting thought.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

What exactly happened? Udonis threw his mouthguard at Crawford?
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake~eyes
What exactly happened? Udonis threw his mouthguard at Crawford?
Yea that sums it up pretty nicely.

It appeared from SportsCenter that Crawford only gave him one, but I wasn't watching the game. How many FTs did Chicago shoot? That should tell you whether he got one or two...
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I only thought he got two because of what the announcers said, but I didn't look to see if one or two FTs were shot.

Man, I love Joey Crawford, but I could never toss someone like that. Common known fact that the league makes him go to anger management and it definitely showed on the ejection!
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
I think he means he would toss him, just not like that. I believe Joey pointed to the door twice and called him out on strikes once.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2006, 07:05pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_REF
I think he means he would toss him, just not like that. I believe Joey pointed to the door twice and called him out on strikes once.
OK, I see now what he was getting at.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
Yeah, I only thought he got two because of what the announcers said, but I didn't look to see if one or two FTs were shot.

Man, I love Joey Crawford, but I could never toss someone like that. Common known fact that the league makes him go to anger management and it definitely showed on the ejection!
Shortly after the incident, Crawford got into an argument with someone on press row (Heat announcer, maybe?), and he almost tossed that guy out of the arena also. I wonder if we can make the "shoo, shoo" mechanic a part of the Fed and NCAA books as well!

(If you don't know what I refer too, Crawford "shooed" Haslem out of the bench area toward the locker room. See the replay. I would love to be able to use this without losing my stripes.)
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 01:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yeah, but I don't think throwing your mouthpiece along the floor warrants a one game suspension.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
Yeah, but I don't think throwing your mouthpiece along the floor warrants a one game suspension.
I do. It is called sportsmanship and respect neither of which were displayed by Haslem. So the fact that he has to sit out a game is just to bad for him. He probably won't do it again.

Furthermore, it is irrelevant that it went along the floor. He threw it at the official with the intentention to hit him with it. If he would have made contact with it, it would be the same as him making physical contact. Think about the fight rule, if a punch is thrown but it misses it is still a fight and you are ejected and sit, for at least 1 game if not more. Same concept.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more with you on this one.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:17pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBall_Junkie
I do. It is called sportsmanship and respect neither of which were displayed by Haslem. So the fact that he has to sit out a game is just to bad for him. He probably won't do it again.

Furthermore, it is irrelevant that it went along the floor. He threw it at the official with the intentention to hit him with it. If he would have made contact with it, it would be the same as him making physical contact. Think about the fight rule, if a punch is thrown but it misses it is still a fight and you are ejected and sit, for at least 1 game if not more. Same concept.

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more with you on this one.
If that's the case, then anyone (coach or player) who missiles a ball towards an official should be suspended also. Haslem threw his mouthpiece along the floor and it never had a chance of hitting nor injuring Crawford. He got his punishment, ejection from the game. This is overkill.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:28pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
If that's the case, then anyone (coach or player) who missiles a ball towards an official should be suspended also. Haslem threw his mouthpiece along the floor and it never had a chance of hitting nor injuring Crawford. He got his punishment, ejection from the game. This is overkill.
Are you saying that a player or coach who deliberately "missiles" a ball at an official shouldn't be suspended? I disagree completely with that also. That should be an automatic suspension every time imo. No official in any sport should have to put up with that sh!t.

Btw, according to a story I read in the Miami Herald yesterday, Haslem has done his mouthpiece-throwing act several times already, and the NBA head office had also specifically warned him about his throwing it. I'll see if I can dig that story up and post it.

I agree with Junkie completely.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2006, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think it is overkill at all and he got what he deserved. Tell me how many times you have seen a ball "missled" at an official? I can count on one hand how many times I have seen it....Zip. If it did happen I feel certain that he would be ejected and if it was an NBA game they would sit.

Hold people accountable for their actions. Haslem gets no sympathy from me.

We just aren't going to agree on this one.