Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 10, 2006, 04:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindzebra
Yes you misunderstood...I was asked what was different between a try and a fumble that would mean A1 could dribble after the try but not dribble after a fumble.

Nothing in that case play disagrees with anything I said, the NCAA ruling is it is a violation if A1 fumbles THEN DRIBBLES after A1 recovers.
Frankly I'm not sure what you're saying which is why I qualified my original statement. In any event the ncaa is not saying the player cannot recover & dribble again. They are saying the player can recover and dribble if he hasn't already given up his dribble.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Fri Nov 10, 2006 at 09:56pm.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 01:19am
Official Forum Member

When the Fed tells me that it's legal for A1 to jump, fumble the ball, regain possession, and then land, I'll ignore it. Until then, I've got traveling.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

[quote=Dan_ref]Frankly I'm not sure what you're saying which is why I qualified my original statement. In any event the ncaa is not saying the player cannot recover & dribble again. They are saying the player can recover and dribble if he hasn't already given up his dribble.[/quote

That is exactly what the NCAA is saying, Dan. The player MAY recover the ball, but he MAY NOT dribble AGAIN. A first dribble is okay, but not a second even if it comes after a fumble. It right there in the AR you cited.

A.R. 82. After ending a dribble, A1 leaves the playing court to attempt a try for goal. While airborne, A1 fumbles the ball. A1 (a) recovers the fumble while airborne, or (b) recovers the fumble after returning to the floor. A1 dribbles the ball. The official calls a violation. Is the official correct? RULING: Yes. In (a) and (b) A1 is permitted to recover the ball but after recovering the ball, A1 started a second dribble. However, if a fumble is touched by another player and then recovered by A1, while airborne or after a return to the floor, A1 is allowed to start another dribble. If A1 had not previously dribbled the ball, and while airborne fumbled and recovered the ball (while airborne or after a return to the floor), he is permitted to start a dribble.
Old Sat Nov 11, 2006, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
[QUOTE=Nevadaref]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Frankly I'm not sure what you're saying which is why I qualified my original statement. In any event the ncaa is not saying the player cannot recover & dribble again. They are saying the player can recover and dribble if he hasn't already given up his dribble.[/quote

That is exactly what the NCAA is saying, Dan. The player MAY recover the ball, but he MAY NOT dribble AGAIN. A first dribble is okay, but not a second even if it comes after a fumble. It right there in the AR you cited.
Ahhh...I see what you're saying. My wording was a bit sloppy, I should have stated it as corrected above. My fault for being unclear.

The bottom line is (and I'm not sure who's on what side of this argument btw) is that according to the ncaa an airborne player can fumble the ball (ie not shoot the ball) and legally recover it either in the air or on the floor. Period. Whether he can dribbble at all at that point depends simply on whether he gave up his dribble prior to going airborne. He cannot dribble again.

I don't believe there is such a case play in the nfhs book.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Ok, I realize that this thread is two years old, but Nevada just linked to it a few days ago. Just by coincidence, I got an email from a member of the FED rules committee. He took some case plays that I sent to him and asked Mary about them.

Mary's answer is that the fumble causes a loss of player control and the player may recover the fumble in midair and land with no violation.

I know that not everyone is enamored with Mary's rulings in the past, but at least this is a definitive answer from somebody at the FED.

Sorry, Tony.

Ok, now Dan can insert his comments about me not being here anymore.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Holy Macaroni and Cheese Batman!!!

I just noticed my thread came back to life. Wow.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the enthusiasm and dedication of you all.

I have been waiting for this answer for 2 years now. I can finally get back to the coach who asked me about it. And since I now know everything there is to know, I QUIT.

My fellow officials, I will see you all in heaven, since we have all seen our share of hell.

Adios Amigos.