The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 05:37pm
This IS My Social Life

Number of Captains?

3.1.1 states, "Each team consists of five players, one of whom is the captain."

I'm not sure if inflation has hit our area, but I don't ever remember just one captain from each team meeting with the officials prior to the start of the game. Most teams send two or three players.

Do any of you limit the pre-game caucus to just one player from each team? Is that what 3.1.1 means? Or do you gather with as many players as the teams sends, declaring one as captain for the game?

What say you?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 05:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They can send 12, I don't care. Most send 2, a few send 3. I've seen just one a couple of times. When I played, we always sent 2.

I have seen officials, in the conference, ask who the "speaking captain" would be and get the number. I don't, however.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

During pre-game, there are no players. Only team members. So I don't think that definition can be strictly applied to the pre-game captains/coaches meeting. And, why would we want to pick a meaningless fight before the game even begins?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 06:57pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Speaking Captain ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
I have seen officials, in the conference, ask who the "speaking captain" would be and get the number. I don't, however.
Not only have I had partners ask who the speaking captain is, get their number, then they ask if they're starting, they almost always are, and then write "C" next to their name in the book.

I don't do any of this. I'm willing to talk to any player who approaches me politely, and with respect, a starting speaking captain, a nonstarting speaking captain, a non speaking captain (especially when I officiate at the deaf school that we service), a starting noncaptain, a nonstarting noncaptain, even the freshman sitting down the end of the bench who only gets to play when the game becomes a blowout.

During the jumpball to start the game, as the referee, I point the direction for both teams, calling out each color, and checking that they are going opposite their bench, ask a loud general question, "Ready?", to all ten players, and toss the ball.

I'm probably not following the rules to the letter, but this seems to work for me, and I've never gotten a complaint, from a coach, player, fan, partner, or evaluator.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

When I'm tossing the ball, I simply say..... Wait, I don't say anything anymore. I just blow the whistle, walk in, and throw the ball into the air.

There's no way I'd remember that 15 is white's speaking captain and 51 is blue's speaking captain. No way I'm gonna check the book to see if the right player is asking questions.

I just tell the captains in the meeting to watch their teammates and take care of any heated situations before I have to.

Well, then I go over the boundary lines, ground rules, new rule changes and points of emphasis, and ask them where the best place in town is to get a bite to eat after the game.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When I'm tossing the ball, I simply say..... Wait, I don't say anything anymore. I just blow the whistle, walk in, and throw the ball into the air.

There's no way I'd remember that 15 is white's speaking captain and 51 is blue's speaking captain. No way I'm gonna check the book to see if the right player is asking questions.

I just tell the captains in the meeting to watch their teammates and take care of any heated situations before I have to.

Well, then I go over the boundary lines, ground rules, new rule changes and points of emphasis, and ask them where the best place in town is to get a bite to eat after the game.
What? You don't cover your philosophy on hand checking so they know how you'll call it tonight? You don't ask who that smoking hot mother on the third row is? That's a pretty incomplete pre-game.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 07:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Ask them where the best place in town is to get a bite to eat after the game.
Good way to ease the tension before a game. I like it. I'm stealing it. It's mine from now on.

"Where is the best place in town to get a bite to eat after the game?"
© 2008 BillyMac

We have a team in our area who are called the "Little Noises". To ease the tension before the game, I always ask the opposing captains why their opponents are called the "Little Noises". I get the right answer about half the time. If I don't get the right answer, I ask one of the "Little Noises" captains to explain it to the opposing captains and coaches.

I have to keep my priorities straight. Only after that do I ask about the smoking hot mother on the third row.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 07:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac
Good way to ease the tension before a game. I like it. I'm stealing it. It's mine from now on.

"Where is the best place in town to get a bite to eat after the game?"
© 2008 BillyMac

We have a team in our area who are called the "Little Noises". To ease the tension before the game, I always ask the opposing captains why their opponents are called the "Little Noises". I get the right answer about half the time. If I don't get the right answer, I ask one of the "Little Noises" captains to explain it to the opposing captains and coaches.

I have to keep my priorities straight. Only after that do I ask about the smoking hot mother on the third row.
Duh! How else are you going to know where to ask her to dinner after the game?
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy
Or do you gather with as many players as the teams sends, declaring one as captain for the game?
Only time I care about only having one "speaking captain" is during intramural games, where the captain is truly the person responsible for his/her team.
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
... and ask them where the best place in town is to get a bite to eat after the game.
...and then the parents wonder why you want to know where the kids hang out after the game.

No thanks...besides, the establishment I want to frequent after the game...most 17 and 18 year olds couldn't give me a good critique.
Richland, WA
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 07:08am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
What? You don't cover your philosophy on hand checking so they know how you'll call it tonight? You don't ask who that smoking hot mother on the third row is? That's a pretty incomplete pre-game.
That's normally covered in the points of emphasis. If it's not in the annual POEs, I don't normally call it.

As for Mom? That's what pregame with the coaches is for.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 07:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude
...and then the parents wonder why you want to know where the kids hang out after the game.

No thanks...besides, the establishment I want to frequent after the game...most 17 and 18 year olds couldn't give me a good critique.
If the parents wonder, I'll just tell them I'm always in a hurry after the game and was wanting to save time afterwards. I make sure and wear my watch, too, so I know what time it is at all times.
Old Wed May 07, 2008, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

The "speaking captain" thing is done here - and was in every game I worked this year except the first one, and that's because I was the referee and had never worked in this state before.

I've got little use for it, as I'm lucky to make it to the start of the game remembering the numbers. I'm just not good at it for some reason...