The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question Back to the false multiple?

I wrote the first thread at the end of an exhausting day. I don't think I was quite clear enough.

There were two fouls. My call was either the same time or slightly after my partner's. (It was a very noisy gym.)

He was trail, calling a shooting foul. I was lead, calling a foul on another defensive player fouling a different offensive player trying to get in position for a rebound.

I can't find anything in the case book to support this being a false multiple. In fact, I haven't found any casebook saying I had a call. I wrote to the rules tech of my association. He says that my foul should have been ignored and only the shooting foul administered.

Somehow that doesn't seem right. It seems like the spirit of the rulebook goes toward calling all fouls.

Thoughts?

Rita
Old Fri Mar 24, 2006, 11:54pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Multiple foul: two or more teammates commit personal fouls against the same opponent at approximately the same time.

False Multiple: a situation in which there are two or more fouls by the same team and the last foul is committed before the clock is started following the first, and at least one of the attributes of a multiple foul is absent.

Your situation fits this definition perfectly.
Old Sat Mar 25, 2006, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
I wrote the first thread at the end of an exhausting day. I don't think I was quite clear enough.

There were two fouls. My call was either the same time or slightly after my partner's. (It was a very noisy gym.)

He was trail, calling a shooting foul. I was lead, calling a foul on another defensive player fouling a different offensive player trying to get in position for a rebound.

I can't find anything in the case book to support this being a false multiple. In fact, I haven't found any casebook saying I had a call. I wrote to the rules tech of my association. He says that my foul should have been ignored and only the shooting foul administered.

Somehow that doesn't seem right. It seems like the spirit of the rulebook goes toward calling all fouls.

Thoughts?

Rita
Time to get a new rules tech for your association. Ignore a foul during a live ball??? What the @%&^# is that person talking about?

He's wrong. You did it perfectly. Many others here will tell you the same thing. Keep it up.
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref
Time to get a new rules tech for your association. Ignore a foul during a live ball??? What the @%&^# is that person talking about?

He's wrong. You did it perfectly. Many others here will tell you the same thing. Keep it up.
Thank you. But not quite perfectly. I think we should have had the lane empty for the free throws and then administered the ball at the baseline?

Which would look strange.

BTW, my supposedly senior partner had no idea what to do.

Rita
Old Sun Mar 26, 2006, 08:56pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita C
Thank you. But not quite perfectly. I think we should have had the lane empty for the free throws and then administered the ball at the baseline?

Which would look strange.
Which would also be either right or wrong.....depending on whether the second foul occurred with that team in the bonus.

You penalize both fouls and administer the fouls in the order that they occurred. The first foul is against the shooter. He gets his free throw(s) with no players on the lane because the ball isn't in play after the last free throw. You now penalize the second foul. If the team fouled is in the bonus, they'll shoot their free throws with players on the lanes. If they're not in the bonus yet, they'll get a designated spot throw-in at the closest spot to where the foul occurred.

Last edited by Jurassic Referee; Sun Mar 26, 2006 at 08:58pm.