The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:57am
MABO Member

SUbstitution Question

Ok, I can't rememebr if this has been discussed or not in the past.
I had a player wearing a hair elastic around her wrist that wasn't noticed right away when she entered the game. When it was noticed my partner asked for a sub for her and she was removed from the floor. She took off the bands and then wanted to come right back on the floor.

My question is, and I always get this mixed up, does the player who was removed have to wait for a tick off the clock in order to come back in or does the substitute have to stay in for that tick only. In other words could the girl withthe bands sub right back for another player?

I said NO WAY she stays out until the clock runs. A senior official from our conference was indicating it may be otherwise. I asked her to come to our change room after the game so we could discuss her view and now we both are unsure.

Thanks

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Smoky, FED 3-3-4 is your reference. (The college rule is the same, although the reference is probably different.) A player who is subbed out (or directed to leave, as in your sitch) may not re-enter the game until after the clock has properly started.

However, in your sitch, I would not have directed the player to leave the game. I would've just had her take it off.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:08am
In Memoriam

1) Just tell the player to take the elastic off. If she does so immediately, the game isn't held up and there's no need to send her out of the game.

2) If the player is sent out, they can't sub back in until the clock has run- in all rulesets afaik.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:17am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Smoky, FED 3-3-4 is your reference. (The college rule is the same, although the reference is probably different.) A player who is subbed out (or directed to leave, as in your sitch) may not re-enter the game until after the clock has properly started.

However, in your sitch, I would not have directed the player to leave the game. I would've just had her take it off.
Thanks Chuck. We have been instructed to remove the players if they are wearing bands, metal hair clips, etc. Simply because they willnot follow the directions given in pregame that all metal in the hair and jewelry must be removed. we have also been instructed if they don't have the uniform tucked in they are not to be allowed to enter the game. I guess the evaluators want the letter of the rules followed for this tourney. BTW, it is the Provincial Junior High School Tournament, Grade 9's.

Still looking for the reference in NCAA that says what you posted for FED.

Smoke

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
2) If the player is sent out, they can't sub back in until the clock has run- in all rulesets afaik.
Not in all rule-sets. That's why it's confusing. The NBA rule is the opposite of the FED/NCAA rule. In the NBA, a player who subs in must stay in for a tick. But I don't know why this misconception has seeped into the HS ranks. It's not like you see it enforced a lot in NBA games.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:23am
MABO Member

Found it Rule 3-4-12

Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Found it Rule 3-4-12
Smokey has posted the NCAA reference, for anyone who might be trying to look it up.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:36am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
Not in all rule-sets. That's why it's confusing. The NBA rule is the opposite of the FED/NCAA rule. In the NBA, a player who subs in must stay in for a tick. But I don't know why this misconception has seeped into the HS ranks. It's not like you see it enforced a lot in NBA games.
Are you kidding me?

The NBA now has rules?

When did that come about?

Has anybody told the players yet?