The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Allow me to state that I'm a first year official, and am currently greener than your retired neighbor's lawn in the month of May. I'm a college student with an insatiable need for income, so I tried officiating basketball. So far, so good. My passion is football, but, like I said, I need the money.

Anyhow, my question is about substitutions during bonus fouls, and, in this particular incident, it is one and one free throw shots. I was told by a somewhat-veteran-official, that I cannot beckon substitutes, during one and one foul shots, prior to the first shot. I was told that I must wait until the first shot has been attempted. I was skeptical of this because if the first shot is missed then they obviously are now required to wait for the second dead ball. So, can you beckon substitutes prior to the first foul shot for one and one fouls?

I worked a junior high game tonight, and I implemented the previously stated and totally borrowed knowledge. The home team tried to enter their substitutes prior to the first one and one foul shot, and I declined their entry. The first shot was made, and then I proceeded to beckon the substitutes. The entire gym -- fans, coaches, even the scorer's table -- objected with vehement fervor. It was somewhat comical. The volatility and overtly animated disgust with my decision convinced me that I was, perhaps, entirely wrong. I stuck to my guns, though, with a statue-like belligerence -- albeit thoroughly ignorant guns.

If you can answer this question, please inform me of the rule in which I should reference. I work for the chapter that resides in San Angelo, Texas. Thanks in advance.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
You are correct 1 and 1 the subs come before the first shot. 2 FTs the subs come after the first before the second.

Welcome to the board...

My two sense!
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:06am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the help, dhodges007. However, I was completely wrong, according to your advice. I did not allow the subs to come in before the first shot. Anyway, at least I won't make that mistake again. When I see those guys again I'm gonna have to bite the bullet, and tell 'em that I was wrong. That sucks considering one of them told me: "You need to read the rules, pardna."
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chooky
Thanks for the help, dhodges007. However, I was completely wrong, according to your advice. I did not allow the subs to come in before the first shot. Anyway, at least I won't make that mistake again. When I see those guys again I'm gonna have to bite the bullet, and tell 'em that I was wrong. That sucks considering one of them told me: "You need to read the rules, pardna."
Chooky,

No big deal. We were all as green as a John Deere tractor at one time. The coach will probably respect you when you admit that you got it wrong. As you say, you won't mess that one up again.

Z
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Along these lines

Is it optional to let in subs before the first of two free throws ? Some of my partners do this and some don't. I am quite frankly,unsure ... Any feedback is always appreciated
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
The rule that covers all cases is that you let subs come in before a FT only if the ball will remain live on a missed FT. So (as was said above) that's before the first shot of a 1-1, before the last shot of multiple FT attempts for a common personal foul (there can be 1-3 attempts), or after the last FT attempt for an intentional, flagrant, or any technical foul.

The exception above for a DQ'd player would also apply for an injured player that needs to be replaced immediately.
Old Sat Jan 08, 2005, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is 3-3-1 (c), and the bonus situation is treated as a single free-throw personal foul.