The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.25 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ref Signal - #2

Lately I've observed in NCAA/NIT games a Lead will point in the other direction after a made basket, any idea what mechanic this is? Is this an old mechanic that a relatively new guy such as myself wouldn't know about? I've seen it before but never inquired about it.

Seems as though its used mostly when there might, could, would, should of possibly been something called and instead they point the other way, almost in a "nothing to see, move along" the other way type of signal. This is purely conjecture on my part.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen
Lately I've observed in NCAA/NIT games a Lead will point in the other direction after a made basket, any idea what mechanic this is? Is this an old mechanic that a relatively new guy such as myself wouldn't know about? I've seen it before but never inquired about it.

Seems as though its used mostly when there might, could, would, should of possibly been something called and instead they point the other way, almost in a "nothing to see, move along" the other way type of signal. This is purely conjecture on my part.

Thoughts?
This seems to be an old-school mechanic. I have only seen it used at the college level. I frequently see it when a team scores a goal. The new Trail will point in the direction of the team now entitled to the end line throw-in.

I know of nothing in any current manual that says to do such. One of the NCAA guys will be along shortly to shed more light on this.
Old Wed Mar 22, 2006, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
It seems to be a confrence thing. The guys from the ACC do it. Also the SEC and a few others. The new trail always signals a two in front of him on a field goal. Out west I've never seen it.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_REF
It seems to be a confrence thing. The guys from the ACC do it. Also the SEC and a few others. The new trail always signals a two in front of him on a field goal. Out west I've never seen it.
Are you sure he's not getting ready to begin the 5-second count, and then signalling the shot clock (and game clock in the last minute of the game) to start?
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to AZ_REF
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Are you sure he's not getting ready to begin the 5-second count, and then signalling the shot clock (and game clock in the last minute of the game) to start?
Yup, they do it right as the ball goes through the hoop. Their arm goes straight out w/ two fingers extended.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
No, Bob, that's not it. I know what he's talking about, although I don't think it's a conference thing. It's more like an indication that possession has officially changed and we're going "that way" now. I think it's probably a long lost leftover mechanic. It just looks silly to me.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckElias
No, Bob, that's not it. I know what he's talking about, although I don't think it's a conference thing. It's more like an indication that possession has officially changed and we're going "that way" now. I think it's probably a long lost leftover mechanic. It just looks silly to me.
I remember when I started that the old trail/new lead had to signal the baskets to the scorers table. Talk about stupid mechanics....
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

It's tough to say that certain mechanics are conference based when so many D1 guys are working multiple conferences.

I see older, established refs make this "signal" all the time. Tim Higgins and Jim Burr use it every time they are the new Trail. I haven't noticed other guys using it, but I'm sure there are plenty.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:40am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz
It's tough to say that certain mechanics are conference based when so many D1 guys are working multiple conferences.

I see older, established refs make this "signal" all the time. Tim Higgins and Jim Burr use it every time they are the new Trail. I haven't noticed other guys using it, but I'm sure there are plenty.
I saw Donnee Gray use it this past weekend. I notice some NBA do it from time-to-time, usually after a made basket that involved some contact.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

i use

it now and then if something happens and a player wants to argue a block/charge no call or contact just to remind him that play is going the other way.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

I use it for the same reason even on plays where there is a good amount of contact an the ball doesn't go in.
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 02:42pm
Do not give a damn!!

This sounds clearly like the official is "counting the basket" by indicating how many points are scored. This mechanic was eliminated a year before I started officiating and I remember guys using this the first year I worked basketball. It is not a conference thing, it is just something officials that have been around a long time have been doing and did not ever change. It really is not a big deal; I can just tell who has been working games longer than I have when I see the signal.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
I remember when I started that the old trail/new lead had to signal the baskets to the scorers table. Talk about stupid mechanics....
this is still the mechanic in FIBA. Funny, but I've never thought of it as being stupid. Why do you say that it is?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 07:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz Referee
this is still the mechanic in FIBA. Funny, but I've never thought of it as being stupid. Why do you say that it is?
Would the players, fans, coaches and the table know that a basket has been scored and we're going the other way if you didn't signal?

Of course they would. That's why it's stupid.

And no, it's not an ACC thing.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 08:13pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
My first game back after a 26 year layoff I signaled the '2' to the table, in the 1st half. That's the way it was in pre-zebra shirt days.