Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

What is "toss option delayed"?
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Defer
Old Thu Oct 06, 2005, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks. It makes sense now. I alwasy thought it had to do with a play.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

That signal is given at the coin toss if the winner of the toss defers their option to the 2nd half. Once this choice happens, WH places hand on winners shoulder pads and looks at press box and gives signal.

Then WH ask other team, receive, kick or defend goal. How many times have high school captains said, kick? Now this could be a good choice if their is a wind/sound barrier, but in HS, this is a screw up.
Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

You know what needs to happen, for real. . . .All of these football video games where there is a coin toss need to be changed to be accurate. I don't know how many times I have had kids all the way up to the JV level pick kick or chose to defend a goal and they just assume they will get the ball in the 2nd half, they always do in the video games. The makers of these games should add the defer option to these, it is the same at every level regarding the coin toss and it would at least help these kids stay out of trouble.

Old Fri Oct 07, 2005, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by irefky
That signal is given at the coin toss if the winner of the toss defers their option to the 2nd half. Once this choice happens, WH places hand on winners shoulder pads and looks at press box and gives signal.

Then WH ask other team, receive, kick or defend goal. How many times have high school captains said, kick? Now this could be a good choice if their is a wind/sound barrier, but in HS, this is a screw up.
Even if there is a wind issue, they should choose a goal, not choose to kick (in 99% of cases they will kick anyway since the other team will then choose to receive).

In a subvarsity game I did see a player choose 'kick' after the opening toss. I should have opened my mouth (I was not the R), because I do not think he really knew what kick meant (he thought if they kicked on the opening KO, the would automatically receive the 2nd half kick). Also, we did not have the coaches out there, which we should have at that level.