The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Last one for tonight (when you do four games in a row, lots of things come up).

There's no "hack" signal anymore, right (or maybe there never was). So I was told they want you to call a push or a hold or something similar to what could have happened.

So what do you call when A1 shoots and B1 tries to block it and hits the arm on the shot? Hold?

Had a defensive player tonight reach for the ball and smack the offensive player on the nose. I figured I had to call something on that, but couldn't figure out what. I said "push" just to have something to signal.

If a player goes up for a shot and the defensive player hits with the body, you can call a block or maybe a push, if there are hands involved, right?

And there's no symbol for reaching in, right? It's got to be a hold or a push.

And "over the back" is probably a push or a hold, right?

Thanks.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

how about signal 12 illegal use of hands.

by the way what foul are you talking about when you say
over the back, reaching in and hack.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack

There's no "hack" signal anymore, right (or maybe there never was). So I was told they want you to call a push or a hold or something similar to what could have happened.

So what do you call when A1 shoots and B1 tries to block it and hits the arm on the shot? Hold?

Had a defensive player tonight reach for the ball and smack the offensive player on the nose. I figured I had to call something on that, but couldn't figure out what. I said "push" just to have something to signal.

If a player goes up for a shot and the defensive player hits with the body, you can call a block or maybe a push, if there are hands involved, right?

Thanks.
There is an illegal use of hands or "hit" signal.Open hand
chop to forearm.
Old Sun Feb 22, 2004, 11:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by OverAndBack

Thanks.
The *Hack/hit on the arm* is alive and well in the NCAA; t'is the same signal as *Illegal hands* in NFHS.

Over the back contact is a *Push*.

Actually grabbing, pulling or holding is a *Hold*.