The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 2.25 average. Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 23, 2006, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef
Would the players, fans, coaches and the table know that a basket has been scored and we're going the other way if you didn't signal?

Of course they would. That's why it's stupid.

And no, it's not an ACC thing.
Yeah, I see your point. But I figure there is no harm in doing the signal - although I wouldn't be surprised if FIBA changes this in the 2008 rule changes.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 10:59pm
Official Forum Member

Hey, I'm lost...this is not football.

Just reading about the mechanic where the trail official appears to signal the opposite direction following a basket.

Back 33 years ago when I started that was a standard mechanic. Signal two fingers for a 2-pointer, 1 for a single free throw. Apparently, it is not done that way anymore and it did seem redundant.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA-W - Maryland v. North Carolina (Sunday night I believe), all three officials did this after every made basket, and I have seen it 3-4 other times this season too. It is not a mechanic I can find in the book, and it is certainly not something that has been covered at camps the past couple years . . . so my assumption would be that it is something held over from years past. Just my take.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I signal 2 as a trail (and center) with some regularity, but only if the shooter was a foot or two inside the line. Just to give the table notice that we clearly had a 2 point shot so they don't have to wait that second or two more to realize it wasn't a three by waiting for the TD signal. I do it simply to 1) help the table (mainly clock) out, and 2) in case of the rare instance where the coach wants a 3 -- usually when the shot is on the other side of the floor from the bench. Almost always when I look to the table and give the signal, they are looking right at me waiting to see if I'm going to give the TD for a three.

I've done it at various camps and haven't yet been told not to.
Old Wed Jan 31, 2007, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

TA:

I agree with and understand what you are saying (sometimes you HAVE to give the table something), but I think what the OP is talking about is on EVERY made basket, as the new trail is wathcing the throw-in, they will literally point to the opposite end of the floor (at least that is what I have seen), then drop their hand and begin the 5-second count for the throw-in. They did this on made lay-ups in the middle of the lane, and all the way to outside of the 3-pt. line. It looks wierd, but I'm not a D-I official, so what do I know.
Old Thu Feb 01, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

My guess, without watching it, is that they are either:

1) in a habit of doing it becuase of the need to start the clock in the last minute of the game

2) beginning the 5-second count, but the ball is inbounded before the count even gets to one

3) "starting" the shot clock

Either way, not needed on every basket, but not a big deal, either.