LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Simple rule

Quote:
Originally posted by All_Heart
Quote:
Originally posted by socalreff
A player may not be the last to have control inbounds, leave the court, re-establish inbounds status and be the 1st to touch the ball. You stated that the player dribbled b4 going out--hence, he had control. If he just bats the ball in and goes out, he can be the 1st to touch.
Sorry socalreff but you are wrong. Control has nothing to do with it. Although your last sentence says that he can be the 1st to touch, I'm assuming that it was a typo.

Sit.
A1 grabs the ball while falling out of bounds. Both of his feet are planted to the floor while he throws the ball to the floor inbounds. He then falls out of bounds. A1 then reestablishes himself back in bounds and picks up the ball. A1 has legally started a dribble and ended the dribble.
I don't have the book handy, but I am absolutely certain of this rule, having looked it up after it happened to me in a game. It's in the case book. If the player was the last to touch before going out and the 1st to touch upon re-entering, it is completely legal if he never had control. However if he had control before going out, he cannot be the last and 1st to touch. That is what Burr was signalling.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Okay I just watched the play on mmod.ncaasports.com

If you want to watch it just register and you can watch any part of any game!

Go to the Florida game and click on Archive Video. Drag the slider to 29:05/01:59:03. The play is at the 9:11 mark in the 1st half.

After watching the replay I'm pretty sure that this rule was kicked. The funny thing is that there was probably 2 people in the building that knew it. No one said a word about it (as I would expect).

Does anyone know if this used to be the rule along time ago?

If this happens at the end of the game do you fix it or leave it alone if your his partner?

[Edited by All_Heart on Mar 17th, 2006 at 05:06 PM]
A little help?

I went to mmod.ncaasports.com and the page just said "Coming soon". So I went to ncaasports.com and I can't see where to register for this thing.

Thanks
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

A little help?

I went to mmod.ncaasports.com and the page just said "Coming soon". So I went to ncaasports.com and I can't see where to register for this thing.

Thanks
My bad Dan, go to http://www.ncaasports.com/mmod

Then register, but you might want to say your from China so that your local games aren't blackout.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:25pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Simple rule

Quote:

I don't have the book handy, but I am absolutely certain of this rule, having looked it up after it happened to me in a game. It's in the case book. If the player was the last to touch before going out and the 1st to touch upon re-entering, it is completely legal if he never had control. However if he had control before going out, he cannot be the last and 1st to touch. That is what Burr was signalling.
I'd love to see this case play because I know that your misreading it. The case play probably is talking about someone that is dribbling that goes out of bounds on their on volition. This is illegal, but going out because of your momentum is legal.

Show me in the rule book where Burr's signal is located because I can't find it
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:26pm
Official Forum Member

Rule item

pg. BR 112 Article 1 in college book explains difference between control and no control---illegal vs. legal.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

A little help?

Thanks

Then register, but you might want to say your from China so that your local games aren't blackout.
thanks.

I'm waiting in line. They were nice enough to tell me if I had a VIP registration there wouldn't be a line.

What's that? Pay service?

Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Simple rule

Quote:
Quote:

I'd love to see this case play because I know that your misreading it. The case play probably is talking about someone that is dribbling that goes out of bounds on their on volition. This is illegal, but going out because of your momentum is legal.

Show me in the rule book where Burr's signal is located because I can't find it
The mechanic is simply out of bounds violation. Stop clock, signal direction.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A little help?

Thanks

thanks.

I'm waiting in line. They were nice enough to tell me if I had a VIP registration there wouldn't be a line.

I guess but when I did it I was 72 but it only took like 2 minutes.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Rule item

Quote:
pg. BR 112 Article 1 in college book explains difference between control and no control---illegal vs. legal.
A.R. 1. A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor in bounds but A1, who is off balance, falls outside the end line. A1 returns, secures control of the ball, and dribbles.

RULING: Legal. A1 has not left the playing court voluntarily and was not in control of the ball when leaving the playing court. This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries
A1 off the playing court. The try is unsuccessful, and A1 comes onto the playing court and regains control of the ball.

This means that the player was not in control of the ball when OOB.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Page 51 (Case book section), 7.1.1. Situation D "A1 jumps from inbounds to retrieve an errant pass near a boundary line. A1 catches the ball while in the air and tosses it back to the court. A1 lands out of bounds and (a) is the first to touch the ball after returning inbounds, (b) returns inbounds and immediately dribbles the ball; or (c) picks up the ball after returning to the court and then begins a dribble.
Ruling: Legal in (a) and (b). Illegal in (c) as the toss of the ball to the court by A1 constitutes the start of a dribble, dribbling a second time after PICKING up the ball is an illegal dribble violation.

In this play the player has control when he catches the ball. The player is allowed to re-establish himself and grab the ball.
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A little help?

Thanks

thanks.

Did you get it to work and see the play?
Old Fri Mar 17, 2006, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

A little help?

Thanks

thanks.

Did you get it to work and see the play?
No, I didn't get in, after a few minutes waiting the window closed.

I'm gonna try tomorrow morning before the games start.

Thanks again.
Old Sat Mar 18, 2006, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

I took a look at it. THe first announcer said he called a carry. The next guy brought up this other inbounds/out of bounds explanation. The video is hard to see that IB/OB making any sense. Can't really see a carry in there though either.