The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
You might have to read parts of this out loud to get it.

This coach tonight didn't like me right to begin with -- my partner says he doesn't like anyone. His way of being offensive was to repeat the same thing over and over with exaggerated diction, like this: "Aaahhheeee wwaanntttt the fffoowwooooolll" "Duuhhble DDrrriiibblle" It was extremely annoying, but I couldn't quite throw a T, either (which made it even more annoying). He says, "Why didn't you call that double dribble?" "Coach, the opponent touched it." "Double Dribble, Double Dribble." "Coach if the opponent touches the ball, the guy gets a new dribble" "Double Dribble, Double Dribble" oh, forget it....

So later, he signals for a time out. As I walk to the table, the coach comes over and says, (as above), "I want that foul called". "I heard you,coach, do you want a full or a 30?" "AAHHEEE wwwaaannnnttt the fffoowwoooolll" The assistant was signalling a 30, but I quickly turned to the table and said, "Okay, its a full."

Funny thing is, I didn't get one more complaint the rest of the evening. I can't quite figure out why not, I wasn't exactly respectful!!

PS I'll be gone the rest of the week at camp in Cheney Washington, and then here at Portland State over the weekend. I loved basketball camp last year, and this is going to be a blast. See you in the funnypapers!!
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 06:21am
In Memoriam

Question huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
"Coach if the opponent touches the ball, the guy gets a new dribble"

Jewel,
I don't understand.
mick
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
You might have to read parts of this out loud to get it.

This coach tonight didn't like me right to begin with -- my partner says he doesn't like anyone. His way of being offensive was to repeat the same thing over and over with exaggerated diction, like this: "Aaahhheeee wwaanntttt the fffoowwooooolll" "Duuhhble DDrrriiibblle" It was extremely annoying, but I couldn't quite throw a T, either (which made it even more annoying). He says, "Why didn't you call that double dribble?" "Coach, the opponent touched it." "Double Dribble, Double Dribble." "Coach if the opponent touches the ball, the guy gets a new dribble" "Double Dribble, Double Dribble" oh, forget it....

So later, he signals for a time out. As I walk to the table, the coach comes over and says, (as above), "I want that foul called". "I heard you,coach, do you want a full or a 30?" "AAHHEEE wwwaaannnnttt the fffoowwoooolll" The assistant was signalling a 30, but I quickly turned to the table and said, "Okay, its a full."

Funny thing is, I didn't get one more complaint the rest of the evening. I can't quite figure out why not, I wasn't exactly respectful!!

PS I'll be gone the rest of the week at camp in Cheney Washington, and then here at Portland State over the weekend. I loved basketball camp last year, and this is going to be a blast. See you in the funnypapers!!
OK, I'm sitting here at work reading this out loud & now
there's a crowd of people looking at me funny. BTW,
the all have the same question as Mick.

BTW, funny story.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

My guess is by saying the opponent touched the ball, she really means the opponent knocked it out of the players hands--or do I win the captain obvious award?
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

I agree, I think the ball got knocked away.

And if I had a coach reapeating himself over and over making an arse of himself you bet I would light him up. I have better things to do than listen to him go on and on about a play that happened longer than 2 seconds ago. I especially would have wacked him when he was asking for the foul at the TO. He was asking for one, I would have obliged.
Old Tue Jun 26, 2001, 01:38pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

WWDD? (What would Dave do?) The first time that jackass coach said he wanted the foul called, Dave would say, "OK, coach, here it is." Then WHACK.

Seriously, whenever a coach starts doing this, just put up the stop sign and say, "Coach, we'll call the game." If he does it again, WHACK.

BTW - I would be tempted to answer the coach in the same manner he speaks, i.e.: "thhhhheeeeeerrrreeee wwwwaaaaassss nnnnnnoooooo ffffffooooouuuuulllll, CCCCooooaaaacccccchhhhh." I think he would stop pretty quick.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:

Jewel,
I don't understand.
mick

Mick --

Maybe I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if the opponent touches the ball in any way, the player gets a new dribble. In this case, the dribbler hit the ball with two hands, but then the opponent batted it (as some on this board figured), and then he dribbled again.

But supposing A1 was holding the ball and then B1 grabbed the ball, or even just slapped it. Even if B1 didn't knock it loose, doens't A1 get a new dribble?
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:19am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Re: Re: huh?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jewel,
I don't understand.
mick

Mick --

Maybe I'm wrong here, but my understanding is that if the opponent touches the ball in any way, the player gets a new dribble. In this case, the dribbler hit the ball with two hands, but then the opponent batted it (as some on this board figured), and then he dribbled again.

But supposing A1 was holding the ball and then B1 grabbed the ball, or even just slapped it. Even if B1 didn't knock it loose, doens't A1 get a new dribble?
Jewel,
I think this is where we have to judge whether the ball handler merely dropped (voluntarily released) the ball.
Only if the adjudged force of the defenders' contact causes the relase, do I allow a new dribble.
I, usually, only see that at the very lowest levels, 5th-7th, and still only rarely.
mick

Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:54am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: huh?

Quote:
...adjudged...
Just learn a new word, mick?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 11:25am
In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: huh?

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
...adjudged...
Just learn a new word, mick?
Nope, 12 years of Little League. They wrote it, and I asked what it meant.