The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 05:18pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

This weekend I worked a girls HS tournament which was part of a player's camp at the University of Portland. About one-third of the teams were from Washington, with the majority from Oregon. There are a few differences in girls rules between the states, one of them being that in Washington, they only call 5 seconds on the hold, not the dribble. I work in both states so I have to make adjustments when I go to Washington. Oregon plays pretty much straight NF rules. In this tournament, we play Oregon rules because we are in Oregon, and all coaches were given a copy of the rules.

Anyway, my second game was JV with one team from each state. I called a 5 second count on one of the Washington girls on the dribble. Their coach (a woman) asked for and was granted a timeout. As I approached the table, she asked me what the call was. I told her it was 5 seconds closely guarded (yes, my count was very visible). She said, very nicely, "on the dribble?" I replied that we were in Oregon, and we were playing Oregon rules.

I hope you're sitting down for this. She then turned to her assistant, a varsity player, and said, "We're in Oregon?" At first, I thought she was joking, but she was serious!

It got even better. The assistant looked at her and shrugged her shoulders!!! She didn't know, either!!!

Where's Dave when you really need him?
Old Sun Jul 01, 2001, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Too funny!

Also, very sad!

Good grief!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 02:24am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Help! Where am I???
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 06:42am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Click your heals together and repeat....... There's no place like home, There's no place like home. We're not in Kansas anymore Todo!!!!!!!
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Well, Mark, I mean after all, the Glen Jackson bridge is just like any other freeway overpass -- easy to miss -- since the Columbia River is such a trickle...

(dripping with sarcasm...)
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 11:48am
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Well, Mark, I mean after all, the Glen Jackson bridge is just like any other freeway overpass -- easy to miss -- since the Columbia River is such a trickle...

(dripping with sarcasm...)
I know, Juulie. But I would have thought that crossing the Columbia and seeing the huge "Welcome To Oregon" signs and the big sign outside the school that says "University Of Portland" might have been a tip-off.