The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 12:31am
Official Forum Member

Question

When are shoes no longer just shoes, but a mechanical aid? The reason I ask is that Nike have recently released their new shoes in Australia (I think they are called "Shox"). The theory is that they can assist your vertical jump. If this is true I would think they would be illegal for all competivie basketball, but I have never seen a specific rule outlawing any type of shoe.

Is there any rule covering this in NF/NCAA/NBA, to the best of my knowledge this is definitely something that FIBA does not cover.

Also, is it up to the referees or the event/competition organisers to enforce. In other words is it a technical infraction of the rules, or is it a more serious matter (similar to say, steroid use)?

I look forward to everyone's comments.

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Thu Jun 28, 2001, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Is there any rule covering this in NF/NCAA/NBA, to the best of my knowledge this is definitely something that FIBA does not cover.

13.2.6 (FIBA)
All equipment used by players must be appropriate for basketball. Any equipment that is designed to increase a player's height or reach, or in any other way give an unfair advantage, is not permitted.

I don't think the shoes do what they claim, but the commercials are good!!! (boing, boing, boing, )
Old Sat Jun 30, 2001, 04:25am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I believe that the shoes are only meant to cushion the landing of a jumping player. There are four columns of dense foam in the heel. Foam cannot really give much force to push something back up. Only a metal spring could do that, that is why they don't use foam in things like pogo sticks. I tried on the shoes and ran in them...like all 20 feet I could across the store...and did not feel like Tigger, but they are really comfortable. They are made of all leather so they hug your feet. My feet are picky, so I am thinking about investing $150. for some. Of course I would have to paint/ polish the heel black because it only comes in a silver material.
Old Mon Jul 02, 2001, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
I don't think the shoes do what they claim, but the commercials are good!!! (boing, boing, boing, )
Even bteter, I like the "false" ad where the guy jumps about five feet and then his shoes explode!! I was on during the NCAA play-offs.