The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 05:02pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
What if the coach who is trying to fool the other team asked you not to tell them
Nope - it's in our mechanics to point and verbalize. He's basically (unknowingly) asking for us to not follow procedure.

Quote:
"don't tell the other team, we are trying to fool them". ... as soon as the teams started to come out onto the floor he told them that it was white ball and pointed that direction.
Good Referee. He did the right thing, and was not reluctant to do it, and by doing so, showed that the coach cannot influence him.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 05:17pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Quote:
What if the coach who is trying to fool the other team asked you not to tell them
Nope - it's in our mechanics to point and verbalize. He's basically (unknowingly) asking for us to not follow procedure.
I'm with you, JugglingReferee.
Been there.
Done that.
Bought the shirt.
mick

Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:37pm
Official Forum Member

What would happen if after the first team scored (in the basket they were pointed to), a player from Team B realized they shot at the "wrong" basket and upon receiving the inbounds pass he too shot at the same basket. His thinking would be that should be his basket. I know what the rules say but what would you do in this case?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 07:50pm
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally posted by som44
What would happen if after the first team scored (in the basket they were pointed to), a player from Team B realized they shot at the "wrong" basket and upon receiving the inbounds pass he too shot at the same basket. His thinking would be that should be his basket. I know what the rules say but what would you do in this case?
Hmmm. Dunno, som44.
I guess I'd allow both baskets with a score of 2-2.
...And I should probably thank that Team B player for getting me straight.
mick
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:02pm

Quote:
What would happen if after the first team scored (in the basket they were pointed to)
In Fed ball, by definition of rule, you score in your own basket. So if the first team with possession scores on the basket they were pointed to, all is well.

Quote:
a player from Team B realized they shot at the "wrong" basket
Since the first team did not shoot at the wrong basket, B's thinking is flawed.

Quote:
and upon receiving the inbounds pass he too shot at the same basket. His thinking would be that should be his basket. I know what the rules say but what would you do in this case?
B scored on A's basket. Two more points for A. B inbounds. For A to deliberately subseuqently inbounding the ball is (I believe) a technical foul. (Can someone confirm?) If the official sees that A is takign the ball OOB, this is a good time for preventative officiating.

Edit: after reading mick's asnwer, did I miss something?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I reffed a varsity boys game the other night and the white team came out at the end of a period knowing which basket was theirs but went to the other end anyway. White team has the ball out. Black team sets up to play defense at their own basket(where the white team is currently standing pretending that they are going to play offense at that end, which isn't theirs). One of the white teams players runs to the other end of the court for an uncontested lay up off the throw in. The black team finaly realizing that they just got schooled ran to the other end to throw ball in. What is your take on this?
Legal play as long as they don't have a 10-second backcourt violation. I hope you indicated the direction of play to save your own behind.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What if the coach who is trying to fool the other team asked you not to tell them, as they proceeded to line up at the wrong basket on purpose. It happened to me - the coach said to me "don't tell the other team, we are trying to fool them". This was a back and forth game with many lead changes, and a big game to determine end of season standings. My partner was referee, and as soon as the teams started to come out onto the floor he told them that it was white ball and pointed that direction. Is this the proper mechanic to yell out the color of the team that has the ball and point in that direction? There is a possession arrow already pointing that way....If I was the referee in this particular case I may have been a little reluctant to point out the direction and yell out the color of the team who had the ball(which I normally do, but this time the coach asked me not to.....which I could care less what he asks me[I am not completely cold to coaches] - but does he have a case here)?

[Edited by ctpfive on Feb 20th, 2006 at 04:14 PM]

This play is _way_ old! I was not above trying it . . .

In the Officials Manual, it is mandated (109(k)) that the "Umpire (Center in a crew of three) inform the coaches as to which team will have possession for the throw-in to start the third quarter."
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm the R, at the end the 2nd half, and before the coaches/players leave the benches, I point and verbalize which team has the ball for the second half throw-in. I see many coaches looking at me.
What are you doing announcing which team has the ball for the second half throw-in at the end of the 2nd half?
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:36pm
In Memoriam

Exclamation

Quote:
... after reading mick's asnwer, did I miss something?
Hey, JugglingReferee.
Careful following this blind man.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 09:07pm

Quote:
Originally posted by Whistles & Stripes
What are you doing announcing which team has the ball for the second half throw-in at the end of the 2nd half?
So that coaches can plan their half-time talk accordingly.