The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

I'm at work and don't have a rulebook handy, so I'll solicit input. This play happened in a play-off game (ugh), and I got it from an official-friend of mine who was on the clock for the game.

Teams are pointed the wrong way to start the game. Team A wins the tip and hits a three-point shot on the first possession. Clock-keeper realizes what's happened and sounds the horn and beckons the referee to the table.

The referee wiped the three, awarded team B two points (reasoning being that a team can't score three points in the wrong basket), then gave team A the ball going in the correct direction.

1) What should have been done?

2) What should have been done if nobody had noticed until the score was 8-7?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

1. Let team A keep their points. Turn the teams the right direction. Continue the game.

2. If it was 8-7, turn the teams the right direction, and play on.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:09pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to know that my own sense of justice would have squared with the rulebook in this situation.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:18pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Say the teams are pointed the wrong, Team A wins the jump, doesn't commit an O/B violation, and nails this "3-pointer", and during the whole time, Team B knew the player was going the wrong way, played no defense, and let A1 "shoot".

Is that enough of an argument to award B the 2 points?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:19pm
In Memoriam

Here's the pertinent rules citation....Rule 4-5-4--"If by mistake the officials permit a team to go in the wrong direction, when discovered all points scored, fouls committed, and time consumed shall count as if each team had gone the proper direction. Play shall resume with each team going the proper direction based on bench location".
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Why do you want to come in and complicate matters with sharp questions?
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
Say the teams are pointed the wrong, Team A wins the jump, doesn't commit an O/B violation, and nails this "3-pointer", and during the whole time, Team B knew the player was going the wrong way, played no defense, and let A1 "shoot".

No. If Jumper A1 is facing he south basket, even though based on bench location, he should be facing north, and A2 controls the tipped jump ball and hits the 3 in the south basket, while no team B player is playing defense cause they know about the officials foobar, I'm giving team A the points.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 08:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

No. You don't know for sure that team B knew that. You also don't have any argument if the rule above gets cited to you.

Don't make things harder than they need to be.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 09:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:

No. You don't know for sure that team B knew that. You also don't have any argument if the rule above gets cited to you.

JUMPERS FACING WRONG DIRECTION
5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

Bottom line: Better get those jumpers facing the proper directions!
Old Wed Feb 15, 2006, 09:13pm

Quote:

Actually, you might know. Say the B coach tells his players that A is going the wrong way.

I don't think I have any argument even if the rule doesn't get cited to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Ah yes; refs screw up, one team knows the real direction, and they get the short end.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2006, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Quote:

JUMPERS FACING WRONG DIRECTION
5.2.1 SITUATION E: During the pregame practice period, the visiting team properly uses the east goal and the home team the west goal. The officials, by mistake, allow the jumpers to face the wrong direction to start the game. A1 controls the tap by tapping the ball back to A2. A2, realizing that he/she had warmed up at the basket behind A1, dribbles to that basket and scores an uncontested basket. RULING: Score the basket for Team A. The officials should stop the game and emphasize to both teams the proper direction. The mistake is an official's error by allowing A1 and B1 to face the wrong direction; not a correctable error.

5.2.1 SITUATION E seems to me to create a particularly ugly wrong: the game has barely started and, through the officials' brain-cramp, Team A is up 2-0. I suppose the ruling seeks to be consistent with the general case that you can't unwind what's happened with the ball alive and the clock running. But in this case, where the uncontestedness of the basket will almost certainly call attention to the confusion, why not make an exception that says, for an uncontested first basket enabled by the officials' failure to point the teams in the correct direction, start the game again?

Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 03:51pm
Official Forum Member

I reffed a varsity boys game the other night and the white team came out at the end of a period knowing which basket was theirs but went to the other end anyway. White team has the ball out. Black team sets up to play defense at their own basket(where the white team is currently standing pretending that they are going to play offense at that end, which isn't theirs). One of the white teams players runs to the other end of the court for an uncontested lay up off the throw in. The black team finaly realizing that they just got schooled ran to the other end to throw ball in. What is your take on this?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
I reffed a varsity boys game the other night and the white team came out at the end of a period knowing which basket was theirs but went to the other end anyway. White team has the ball out. Black team sets up to play defense at their own basket(where the white team is currently standing pretending that they are going to play offense at that end, which isn't theirs). One of the white teams players runs to the other end of the court for an uncontested lay up off the throw in. The black team finaly realizing that they just got schooled ran to the other end to throw ball in. What is your take on this?
Legal.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2006, 04:20pm

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
What is your take on this?
Just a silent snicker.

Makes me appreciate the coaches that always know what is going on.

If I'm the R, at the end the 2nd half, and before the coaches/players leave the benches, I point and verbalize which team has the ball for the second half throw-in. I see many coaches looking at me.
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

What if the coach who is trying to fool the other team asked you not to tell them, as they proceeded to line up at the wrong basket on purpose. It happened to me - the coach said to me "don't tell the other team, we are trying to fool them". This was a back and forth game with many lead changes, and a big game to determine end of season standings. My partner was referee, and as soon as the teams started to come out onto the floor he told them that it was white ball and pointed that direction. Is this the proper mechanic to yell out the color of the team that has the ball and point in that direction? There is a possession arrow already pointing that way....If I was the referee in this particular case I may have been a little reluctant to point out the direction and yell out the color of the team who had the ball(which I normally do, but this time the coach asked me not to.....which I could care less what he asks me[I am not completely cold to coaches] - but does he have a case here)?

[Edited by ctpfive on Feb 20th, 2006 at 04:14 PM]