View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 20, 2006, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ctpfive
What if the coach who is trying to fool the other team asked you not to tell them, as they proceeded to line up at the wrong basket on purpose. It happened to me - the coach said to me "don't tell the other team, we are trying to fool them". This was a back and forth game with many lead changes, and a big game to determine end of season standings. My partner was referee, and as soon as the teams started to come out onto the floor he told them that it was white ball and pointed that direction. Is this the proper mechanic to yell out the color of the team that has the ball and point in that direction? There is a possession arrow already pointing that way....If I was the referee in this particular case I may have been a little reluctant to point out the direction and yell out the color of the team who had the ball(which I normally do, but this time the coach asked me not to.....which I could care less what he asks me[I am not completely cold to coaches] - but does he have a case here)?

[Edited by ctpfive on Feb 20th, 2006 at 04:14 PM]

This play is _way_ old! I was not above trying it . . .

In the Officials Manual, it is mandated (109(k)) that the "Umpire (Center in a crew of three) inform the coaches as to which team will have possession for the throw-in to start the third quarter."