The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
My first one ever! Which is sort of like bragging that I finally learned to walk -- it's fun at first, but I'm sure to you-all it's old hat. It was easy and automatic and I didn't even realize what an historic moment it was until later. The coach complained, of course, but it was JV, and I went over and told him, "Coach for a kid at this level to actually pull it off is a credit!" He got that "Oh, yea...." look and shut up about it. I felt like it made my week!!

Same game, we called SIX PC fouls, five on the same team, and the game right before, we called five, and they were all good calls. And we passed on several borderline flops. It was VERY AGGRESSIVE basketball!!

Mark, Howard showed up unexpectedly, too. Wow did it surprise me!!! But afterwards, he said, "that was a tough game and you managed it very well." I've been told that a compliment from Howard is high praise indeed, so I'm floating today!! The only criticisms he had were "minor" mechanics things which of course I chalk up to "summer-arm-osis". He told me I have improved a lot since February when he evaluated me rather harshly, and that he had heard several reports on me that were very good. I'm definitely feelin' good!!! (perhaps this explains all the exclamation points in this post...)
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Red face I'll bite

What's B1?

Visit www.geocities.com/oz_referee
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Re: I'll bite

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz Referee
What's B1?
I honestly don't know! I know that BI is basket interference, and usually B1 is used to designate a player from team B, so I'd take a wild venture that in this post you might be thinking it was a BI call on B1

[Edited by Danvrapp on Jun 13th, 2001 at 12:02 PM]
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

I remember my first BI. Varsity boys pre-season tournament. I got a real good look, was confident and sold the call. Of course Coach B and some fans disagree. Coach B and I have a very good relationship. After the game, he still disputes the call...a week later he still disputes the call and says he looked at it on tape again just the other night. I asked if we could watch the tape together? Suddenly the tape had mysteriously disappeared!!!

I guess the moral of the story is to trust your judgement and don't let coaches get in your head too much...they're just looking for a call somewhere down the road.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Ohhhh

Ahah, in Australia we refer to it as goaltending.

So what is the big deal with calling BI? I take it that it is fairly rare?

Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Ohhhh

Quote:

Well it is rare until you get to higher level, and then it still doesn't happen very often, unless you're in a very talented area.

snce it is just one of those plays you don't see very often, when you stick it, it feels real good.

Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:49pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

Oz Ref,
I have called it once, so far.
mick
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

So what do you call goaltending? Here, basket interference and goaltending are different calls, with (relatively) the same consequence(s), but with very distinctive and unique requirements for each, so as to be distinguishable.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 01:17pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Same game, we called SIX PC fouls, five on the same team, and the game right before, we called five, and they were all good calls.
Reminds me of the game we did together a few weeks ago and we called 3 or 4 PC fouls on the same post player. Remember how his coach couldn't believe it?

Quote:
Mark, Howard showed up unexpectedly, too. Wow did it surprise me!!! But afterwards, he said, "that was a tough game and you managed it very well." I've been told that a compliment from Howard is high praise indeed, so I'm floating today!! The only criticisms he had were "minor" mechanics things which of course I chalk up to "summer-arm-osis". He told me I have improved a lot since February when he evaluated me rather harshly, and that he had heard several reports on me that were very good.
Too bad you didn't get his remarks on tape. This happens about as often as Rasheed Wallace calls a ref "Sir".
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 01:21pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Re: Ohhhh

Quote:

While in a weak moment a few years ago, I was watching basketball at the Olympics where they use FEEBLE, er sorry, FIBA rules. I remember one of the announcers mentioning that, under those rules, there was no such thing as offensive basket interference. That is, if a shot bounced up off the rim above the basket, an offensive player could touch it to put it in even if the ball was still in the cylinder.

OZ, is this still the case? I'm not criticizing, just curious.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I don't think I have called BI but I have called goaltending several times. The signal is the same it is just the rule book has it listed differently.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 01:55pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Ohhhh

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Quote:

While in a weak moment a few years ago, I was watching basketball at the Olympics where they use FEEBLE, er sorry, FIBA rules. I remember one of the announcers mentioning that, under those rules, there was no such thing as offensive basket interference. That is, if a shot bounced up off the rim above the basket, an offensive player could touch it to put it in even if the ball was still in the cylinder.

In FIBA once the ball has come off the rim following the shot attempt, the offense can stuff it in or the defense can swat it away! (Man would I like to be a 7 footer!)

Suprisingly, the players don't seem to take advantage of the rule difference though.
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Ahah, in Australia we refer to it as goaltending. {So what is the big deal with calling BI? I take it that it is fairly rare?
No, goaltending and basket interference are two differnet violations. GT is not BI and BI is not GT. FIBA allows players to touch the ball while it's on the cylinder. That's why you don't have it. It's a violation here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dhodges007 Send a message via Yahoo to dhodges007
Re: Re: Re: Ohhhh

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffRef
Quote:
Quote:

In FIBA once the ball has come off the rim following the shot attempt, the offense can stuff it in or the defense can swat it away! (Man would I like to be a 7 footer!)

Suprisingly, the players don't seem to take advantage of the rule difference though.
That would still require coaches and players to read the rule book

My two sense!
Old Wed Jun 13, 2001, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Talking OH MY GOD!

Quote:
Quote:

HOLD THE PHONE - YOU WERE WATCHING FEEBLE BASKETBALL!

The rule has actually recently been changed. Yes, both the offense and the defense can touch the ball once it has come off the ring, even if it is above the ring. However, a offensive basket interference has been added, but in FIBA's case, this applies to grabbing the ring or net, or banging the backboard in an attempt to make it sway, so as to increase the chances of the ball going in. It is reasonably rare, but I have called it once so far this year.

Just to clarify, I take it then that alley-oops and tip in dunks are basically illegal due to BI?

Feebely yours,