Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Speaking of fouls and reporting...

What do officials in your area usually SAY when reporting an "illegal use of the hands" foul?

Do they say "hack", "with the hand", "right here", "illegal hand", nothing?
I say nothing, if I were to say something I would probably say "hit." But I figure keep my mouth shut and stay out of trouble.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it.
Well lessee...off the top of my head I count 5: push/charge, player/team control, hold, hack, T.

What else might we need?
Don't forget the inimitable hand check.

I've often thought that the foul signals are a motley collection. You've got a few that reflect the nature of the foul: hold, push, hack and hand check. Then you've got a few that denote the type of foul: player control, double, technical and intentional. There are some natures that would gain some additional clarity from a signal: tripping, hooking, pushing off, hit to the head. There are some missing types: flagrant, team control (I could add simultaneous and multiple, but that would just encourage people to call them). But it's a part of our history and culture.

This new violation would benefit from a signal. So would lane violations.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

What do officials in your area usually SAY when reporting an "illegal use of the hands" foul?

I hear "hack" and "hit" and "on the arm" quite a bit. But I'm in the silence category.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I do not say anything at all. The signals speak for themselves. The only time I might actually say something is when I call a PC foul ("Player-Control Foul").

Peace
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Just a simple "Hands" and appropriate visual signal.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

It depends, for IUOH I've said, "Got'em in the head, hit, and got the elbow."

For a hold I've used, "Hold, grab or pull."

For an illegal screen that is going to be signaled either a block or push, I always say, "Illegal screen," at the spot before I report the block or push.

And just for MTD, on a PC I say, "Offense," at the spot.

Use the correct signals, but there is nothing wrong with mixing things up and being descriptive when you vocalize.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Daddy

Just a simple "Hands" and appropriate visual signal.
Doesn't that mean a hand check?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C

I blow my whistle,
done while player is out of bounds. announce the violation verbally, point to the other end of the court,#6 and point to the throw-in spot. #25

Rita
#6 and #25 don't really communicate the violation very well. They only let everyone know I called SOMETHING.

Rita
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker

Rita --

I agree that there should be a signal. I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it. With violations, it's not always very clear what the heck just happened, and I think we need more "sign language" to help communicate.

There are several other signals I'd like to have, such as

* "You idiot fans need to just sit down and shut up. You're embarassing your daughters."

* (to partner) "I need you to get ball-side, NOW!"

* (to coach) "I know you are, but what am I?"

and

* (to a really bad player, who's trying hard and not accomplishing anything useful) "You're playing a lot better than last week. Keep up the great work!"
I think there are signs for those, just not any we can use on the court.

Rita
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

I blow my whistle,
done while player is out of bounds. announce the violation verbally, point to the other end of the court,#6 and point to the throw-in spot. #25

Rita
#6 and #25 don't really communicate the violation very well. They only let everyone know I called SOMETHING.

Rita
That's what that booming voice of yours is for.

Whistle, signal #1 with a simple, "You left the floor #23...giving signal #25...red ball," with signal #6.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 03:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
I've often thought that the foul signals are a motley collection. You've got a few that reflect the nature of the foul: hold, push, hack and hand check. Then you've got a few that denote the type of foul: player control, double, technical and intentional. There are some natures that would gain some additional clarity from a signal: tripping, hooking, pushing off, hit to the head. There are some missing types: flagrant, team control (I could add simultaneous and multiple, but that would just encourage people to call them). But it's a part of our history and culture.
Most often, a simultaneous foul will be such that two different officials each called an foul at approximately the same time (perhaps in completely different areas of the court). Most often, I would expect (and have had it occur) on a long range shot where the shooter is foul while, at the same time, a post player commits a foul while trying to get a rebounding position. I've not had it happen more than a couple of times through the years but it has happened.
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Quote:

I blow my whistle,

Rita

Rita
That's what that booming voice of yours is for.

Whistle, signal #1 with a simple, "You left the floor #23...giving signal #25...red ball," with signal #6.
I once had a partner for baseball who said he had trouble telling my strike call from the bird sounds.

Rita
Old Fri Feb 03, 2006, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

A signal I and many of my partners use often, although it is not in the book, is indicating a two point goal when the shooter is close to the line. I will raise two fingers about arm chest level to the table and my partner so they do not get confused. Had it happen last night. A1 had her left foot on the line. I was table side so as I went by the table I showed two fingers and said "that was a two". Team A coach also saw my signal and, although she may not have agreed with the call, she understood what I saw and made no argument about it other than saying "I thought it was a three". This mechanic is not in the book but a lot of officials I see use it and it seems to work on those close three point attempts.
Old Sat Feb 04, 2006, 06:35am
Official Forum Member

I do the same thing as the previous post, 2 fingers real low, extended out towards the table. At the very least, besides helping the table crew, it tells the coaches that you are paying attention and that you saw the position of the shooter's feet before the attempt. Promotes game management.