The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

I called a violation for leaving the court and returning to gain advantage tonight.

I'm lead (three-man). I've just given the ball to black (in blacks front court) for the throw-in. There is the usual jumble of players moving around when one of black steps off the court to go around a screen.

I blow my whistle, announce the violation verbally, point to the other end of the court, and point to the throw-in spot. Meanwhile, I see my partner in C and the coach a bit confused over by black's bench.

I found out later neither were sure what I called. We have a signal for travel, over-and-back, etc. Would be nice to have one for this call.

Rita
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 02:00am
Official Forum Member

#25 on the signal chart.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

You're right, maybe it should be one of those violations, like basket interference, that gets reported to the table verbally.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 08:23am
Official Forum Member

I agree with blindzebra on #25 followed by #6.
I don't want to nit-pick, but what's the signal for "Over the Back" as you mentioned. NFHS has no signal specifically for that foul. It is simply a PUSH!!!
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishinRef
I agree with blindzebra on #25 followed by #6.
I don't want to nit-pick, but what's the signal for "Over the Back" as you mentioned.
She said "over-AND-back" not "over THE back."

In my experience, if you call the violation while the player is still OOB and use your voice: tweet - "15 is OOB .. white" - point; then the confusion will be minimized.

The whistle will cause the coach to look at you and s/he'll see the player involved.

Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

I humbly apologize. Thanks for correcting me Bob.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
I called a violation for leaving the court and returning to gain advantage tonight.

I'm lead (three-man). I've just given the ball to black (in blacks front court) for the throw-in. There is the usual jumble of players moving around when one of black steps off the court to go around a screen.

I blow my whistle, announce the violation verbally, point to the other end of the court, and point to the throw-in spot. Meanwhile, I see my partner in C and the coach a bit confused over by black's bench.

I found out later neither were sure what I called. We have a signal for travel, over-and-back, etc. Would be nice to have one for this call.

Rita
Rita --

I agree that there should be a signal. I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it. With violations, it's not always very clear what the heck just happened, and I think we need more "sign language" to help communicate.

There are several other signals I'd like to have, such as

* "You idiot fans need to just sit down and shut up. You're embarassing your daughters."

* (to partner) "I need you to get ball-side, NOW!"

* (to coach) "I know you are, but what am I?"

and

* (to a really bad player, who's trying hard and not accomplishing anything useful) "You're playing a lot better than last week. Keep up the great work!"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it.
Well lessee...off the top of my head I count 5: push/charge, player/team control, hold, hack, T.

What else might we need?
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

There are several other signals I'd like to have, such as

* "You idiot fans need to just sit down and shut up. You're embarassing your daughters."

I particularly like that one!

Leaving the court is just like stepping on the court during a throw in - You just have to verbalize it while pointing to the line. Called it this weekend and the coach gave me the confused dog look (tilted head, mouth slightly open, eyes wide open)
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it.
Well lessee...off the top of my head I count 5: push/charge, player/team control, hold, hack, T.

What else might we need?
There's push, hold, block, hack, T.

As five categories, that's fine. the "unapproved" signals that we give to describe the action to the coach are useful.

My point would be, what's the "unofficial" signal to tell the coach that the player just stepped out of bounds illegally, and what's the mechanic for stepping around the players so the caoch can see the unofficial signal? pointing down to the line makes the official even harder to see, and there are several very different things that might be indicated by that signal. It would be nice to have a motion or two to indicate to the coaches and the crowd what's happnin...
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:

What else might we need?
There's push, hold, block, hack, T.

As five categories, that's fine. the "unapproved" signals that we give to describe the action to the coach are useful.

My point would be, what's the "unofficial" signal to tell the coach that the player just stepped out of bounds illegally, and what's the mechanic for stepping around the players so the caoch can see the unofficial signal? pointing down to the line makes the official even harder to see, and there are several very different things that might be indicated by that signal. It would be nice to have a motion or two to indicate to the coaches and the crowd what's happnin...
I understand what you're saying about needing more violation signals but you seemed originally to want more than the 7 foul signals we have now (left off block, just realize I forgot intentional. Here are the 7 again: push/charge, player/team control, hold, block, hack, T, intentional.)

Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Sorry guys - 9 types of fouls

I see 9 different fouls in the rule book.

1. Illegal use of hands
2. Hand Check
3. Holding
4. Blocking
5. Push/Shove
6. Player Control
7. Intentional
8. Double Foul
9. Technical Foul

Copied straight from the "NFHS Rule Book"
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Something to think about.

You do not need a signal for something that many of us have never called for yet.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Sorry guys - 9 types of fouls

Quote:
Originally posted by FishinRef
I see 9 different fouls in the rule book.

1. Illegal use of hands
2. Hand Check
3. Holding
4. Blocking
5. Push/Shove
6. Player Control
7. Intentional
8. Double Foul
9. Technical Foul

Copied straight from the "NFHS Rule Book"
Good catch, forgot the doubles.
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Speaking of fouls and reporting...

What do officials in your area usually SAY when reporting an "illegal use of the hands" foul?

Do they say "hack", "with the hand", "right here", "illegal hand", nothing?
Richland, WA