View Single Post
Old Thu Feb 02, 2006, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Rita C
I called a violation for leaving the court and returning to gain advantage tonight.

I'm lead (three-man). I've just given the ball to black (in blacks front court) for the throw-in. There is the usual jumble of players moving around when one of black steps off the court to go around a screen.

I blow my whistle, announce the violation verbally, point to the other end of the court, and point to the throw-in spot. Meanwhile, I see my partner in C and the coach a bit confused over by black's bench.

I found out later neither were sure what I called. We have a signal for travel, over-and-back, etc. Would be nice to have one for this call.

Rita
Rita --

I agree that there should be a signal. I don't have a problem with lumping all the fouls into 3 or 4 signals, because when one reports a foul, one also gets everyone's attention and also tells who did it. With violations, it's not always very clear what the heck just happened, and I think we need more "sign language" to help communicate.

There are several other signals I'd like to have, such as

* "You idiot fans need to just sit down and shut up. You're embarassing your daughters."

* (to partner) "I need you to get ball-side, NOW!"

* (to coach) "I know you are, but what am I?"

and

* (to a really bad player, who's trying hard and not accomplishing anything useful) "You're playing a lot better than last week. Keep up the great work!"