The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

We always cover in pre-game

what we will do in case of unsure call. Solution always is: blow whistle, make eye contact with partner(s) (this is signal I need help). No call from anyone means conference. If we can't decide after the conference, AP. We have only had to go to AP one time. No complaints.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

There's some difference.

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by chrs_schuster
Whats wrong with admitting that you did not see the correct call, and go to AP instead of getting it wrong and penalizing the wrong team.
If you go to the arrow, you may still penalize the wrong team, so what't the difference?
One team gets the ball, but at the cost of their possession arrow advantage.

Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Sometimes with a little pause, the players will help you out. If I didn't see who tipped it, but everybody is starting to head the other way, we're going "That way!"
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 02:44pm
Official Forum Member

Very Well Stated CaliOne!!!!!!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

ok maybe that wasnt the best choice of words on my part it really wasnt meant to be a bad thing towards the rest of you, kinda the opposite meaning I was looking for. Just didnt word it right. I know its not a big deal we all make our own choices and make up our own minds on many different plays through out the games we ref. thanks for the info on my question. CMS
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

I've learned that you can tell a lot just by watching the reactions of the players. I had one in a tourney a few nights back. Ball went out on side and my view was partially blocked. I was 90% sure it was white ball. I gave my partner a look and he let me know he discreetly let me know he didn't see it. I watched the movements of the players of both teams and they confirmed I was right. I gave it to white. I have to have no idea and not even a strong suspicion to go to the arrow. But if I go to the arrow I sell that call. I once heard a clinician say once that about 50% of OOB are guesses at best. I think he overstated his case, but there is an element of truth in it.