The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I need to brag on myself for a moment, so any of you that want to chew on me line up and have at it! Tonight I did two games that made me stop and reflect upon how far I have come since starting out many moons ago. Great competitive games in a virtual blender all night long. I watched my less experienced partner, with whom I have worked several times this year and who is a great guy did a great job in the regular season, and discovered tonight that he was in a little over his head. He had a real quick whistle that got quicker as the fans and coaches rattled him. He wasn't convincing in selling his calls, and had his "rabbit ears" up and talked too much to the fans and coaches. I realized tonight how experience has taught me not to get rattled, to stay relaxed and focused, to keep my rabbit ears down, to be patient with the whistle and see how the advantage plays out (love that soccer lingo) and to be dispassionate and professional. I don't mean to brag,(actually I can't lie. I do mean to brag -- which isn't like me) but I realized tonight that I've gotten good at this and I called a very good set of games -- and have done so all season long (except for the first game back from Christmas break and that I swear was due from being on the steroid pack for a pinched nerve in my neck). Sometimes watching others can teach you so much. Sometimes it can also help you to see that you often know more and do a better job night in and night out than you give yourself credit for. OK, no more patting myself on the back!
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:16am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Congratulations. It does make you feel good when you know that you have done the best job you can do. Keep improving though! All it takes is one off night !
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 01:32am
Official Forum Member

It's great to have one of these "mile marker" games now and then, just to see how far you've come. And you know you've earned it! So kudos to you

Now, what could you have done to help your struggling partner?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
It's a nice feeling to be able to say to yourself, "Hey, I really do belong here," isn't it?
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Brag. Feel good about how far you've come. And by all means also remember to stay humble. We all can do even better....
Old Tue Jan 24, 2006, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
Brag. Feel good about how far you've come. And by all means also remember to stay humble. We all can do even better....
__________________________________________________ _____

bgtg,
Don't worry about the "stay humble" thing. You obviously have never met my wife!