The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by refTN
What are the guidelines on what you can do in the post?

Why don't NCAA and especially HS come out with such guidelines to make it easier for all officials to be more uniform, cause I know I am going to use the NBA guidelines in the post and in hand checking and I know that I would more than likely be wrong in making these calls according to supervisors, but that could vary from supervisor to supervisor, because there are no set guidelines.
Well, the NFHS and NCAA Womens' guidelines have been set out for you above , RefTN- right from their respective rule books To complete the trifecta, here's the NCAA Mens guidelines from Appendix III of the current NCAA rule book:

SECTION 13- MENS POST PLAY:
Some guidelines to officials in making constant, consistent calls in low-post play:
(a) Observe the entire play, especially when responsible for off-ball coverage.
(b) Anticipate the play but not the call when post players are in a fronting position.
(c) A defensive player pushing a leg or knee into the rear of an offensive player shall be a personal foul on the defender.
(d) An offensive player dislodging a defensive player from an established position by pushing or backing in shall be a personal foul on the offensive player.
(e) A player using the "swim move" arm movement to lower the arm of the an opponent shall be charged with a personal foul.
(f) Post players using hands, arms, forearms or elbows to prevent an opponent from maintainiong a legal position shall be charged with a personal foul.

There's the guidelines from the NFHS and NCAA all set out for you, RefTN, contrary to your claim above that there aren't any guidelines. Still gonna continue using the NBA guidelines?

Btw, the NCAA Womens guidelines that Nevada posted above are set out in Appendix III of the NCAA rule book too.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 08:13 AM]
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Still gonna continue using the NBA guidelines?

Considering that he's in the wait for it ... SEC training program, and thinks that he is already headed to the NBA, he probably will.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 10:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Quote:
Still gonna continue using the NBA guidelines?

Considering that he's in the wait for it ... SEC training program, and thinks that he is already headed to the NBA, he probably will.
Actually, it was my understanding that RefTN isn't in the SEC program. He just attended one of their camps.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody for the welcome and the feedback. Reading on this forum is going to be a nice interesting education for me.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

When I say guidelines, I meant the use of hands. So let me ask again. What are the guidelines, if any, on what you can do with your hands in the post and anywhere else on the court?

Secondly where do you go to put those quotes on the bottom of your posts
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
When I say guidelines, I meant the use of hands. So let me ask again. What are the guidelines, if any, on what you can do with your hands in the post and anywhere else on the court?

Are you serious? Why did we just waste our time posting them and also telling you where to find them?

They're in the damn rulebooks. Look 'em up.

Geeze, what a total waste of time......
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
Are you serious? Why did we just waste our time posting them and also telling you where to find them?
In TN's defense, I think he is probably asking if the FED or NCAA issues bulletins or supplements to the rules that give precise examples of actions that MUST be called a foul. The NBA supplements its rulebook with examples of "guideline fouls". These are directives that take the judgment out of certain situations for officials.

This is what Bob described in the women's game. "Two of anything" is a foul. That way when you go to Trail and the coach yells, "She didn't even push her!", you can honestly say, "Two hands is a guideline foul, Coach. It's automatic."

My guess is that TN was asking if the FED or NCAA puts out such a supplement with a list of plays like this. The FED does not; NCAAM does not, to the best of my knowledge; NCAAW used to, but I don't know the current situation.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
NCAAW used to, but I don't know the current situation.
I didn't realize it, but Nevada's post is the current guidelines. Sorry.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 03:51pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Quote:
In TN's defense, I think he is probably asking if the FED or NCAA issues bulletins or supplements to the rules that give precise examples of actions that MUST be called a foul. The NBA supplements its rulebook with examples of "guideline fouls". These are directives that take the judgment out of certain situations for officials.

This is what Bob described in the women's game. "Two of anything" is a foul. That way when you go to Trail and the coach yells, "She didn't even push her!", you can honestly say, "Two hands is a guideline foul, Coach. It's automatic."

My guess is that TN was asking if the FED or NCAA puts out such a supplement with a list of plays like this. The FED does not; NCAAM does not, to the best of my knowledge; NCAAW used to, but I don't know the current situation.
My guess is RefTN doesn't know the NFHS or NCAA rulesets.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 05:28pm
Official Forum Member

You are probably right Jurassic I have no idea what they are. I would appreciate it if you posted them for me and while you are at it I need you to post all 13 rules from NFHS book for me. I do need to get better at them and study them harder. I hope to be really good one day. I think if I just get about another 7 or 8 years on top of my 4 years of experience I already have(if you can call it that since I have reffed over 700 games and not one of them have been a REGULAR SEASON HIGH SCHOOL game, which matters a whole lot) I will actually make it to, and be a dang good HS official. And then I can be perfectly content with myself and die of old age reffing in the same association for 45 years and make it into my state's hall of fame(which I so eagerly want to do. Oh boy what an honor) never having reffed or wanting to ref above high school.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

If you go to the NCAA web page and then to winter sports then basketball, then officiating and then to bullitens, there are video clips for both mens and womens officials for in=season review.
Working Hard
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:10pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
You are probably right Jurassic I have no idea what they are. I would appreciate it if you posted them for me and while you are at it I need you to post all 13 rules from NFHS book for me. I do need to get better at them and study them harder. I hope to be really good one day. I think if I just get about another 7 or 8 years on top of my 4 years of experience I already have(if you can call it that since I have reffed over 700 games and not one of them have been a REGULAR SEASON HIGH SCHOOL game, which matters a whole lot) I will actually make it to, and be a dang good HS official. And then I can be perfectly content with myself and die of old age reffing in the same association for 45 years and make it into my state's hall of fame(which I so eagerly want to do. Oh boy what an honor) never having reffed or wanting to ref above high school.
Four years of experience? Are you counting all of those intramural high school games you did too? You've done 700 mostly rec league games and a few middle school games, RefTN- according to you. You've never officiated a high school jv game in your life, let alone a high school varsity game. It's readily apparent from your posts here that you don't know or understand most of the basic NFHS and NCAA rules either. You've been to one camp in your life. You are not part of the SEC developmental program.

It's a waste of time posting rules for you. You don't understand them anyway. On the bright side though, you do have those NBA rules nailed, don't you?

You're a 19 year old that thinks he already knows everything damn thing there is to know about officiating. Believe it or not, you don't. None of us do.

Well, good luck to you anyway. You're gonna need it.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Jan 23rd, 2006 at 06:46 PM]
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
If you don't want to ref hs, don't respect hs refs, can only respond sarcastically when people try to find out your true situation, why do you even bother posting here? I can't for the life of me figure out why you waste your time with us hopeless losers.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:38pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Let us Pray>>>> Ok now lets all take a deeeeeeep breath and hope this new rising star reconsiders. Lets try to give him the tools to move on/up. Lets hope he grasps the ring and keeps WORKING HARD and learning.
Old Mon Jan 23, 2006, 06:43pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Oh boy what an honor) never having reffed or wanting to ref above high school.
If you don't want to ref hs, don't respect hs refs, can only respond sarcastically when people try to find out your true situation, why do you even bother posting here? I can't for the life of me figure out why you waste your time with us hopeless losers.
That statement right there tells you exactly what RefTN thinks of officials that only do high school games.

Riff-raff.....not worthy of his respect...