The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 01:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Thumbing through my notebook and studying different situations I've had in the past, I found a question I've never gotten an answer to: How much do you allow coaches to talk to each other? Obviously, I'm not talking about before the game, "How's the wife? You guys had much rain at your end of town?"

Here's the situation: Team A is mopping up the floor with Team B. Even the 3rd string of Team A is outscoring the 1st string of Team B. Team A is still pressing full court at 35 points ahead. Even Team A fans are unhappy with it. (I wasn't reffing, just watching, and I could hear the Team A fans behind me). Finally, in frustration, Team B coach stands up and yells down the table, "Hey (name of coach A), I'm glad your team is finally learning how to press". Refs (who were very good and I'm not questioning the no-call) ignored it, although at least one heard it. Okay, I figure, this much must be okay. When it is not okay for one coach to address the other?
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 02:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
I've never been in the situation, but after reading your post, it made me think how I would handle it.

If it were just a single comment with no profanity, I'd let it go. I guess I would step in when the banter took away from the game or became unprofessional. I believe we have a responsibility to handle this. As far as my actions, I'd call the coaches together and let them know that I've heard enough. One more word and the enemy will be shooting FTs.

When I get in a tough spot, I ask myself (not out loud )this question. "If there was an evaluator in the stands watching me, what would he/she think about the way I handled this?" In this case, if my partner(s) and I were to let a lot go, I believe we would be marked down for it. Just a thought...

Old Mon May 28, 2001, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Here's the situation: Team A is mopping up the floor with Team B. Even the 3rd string of Team A is outscoring the 1st string of Team B. Team A is still pressing full court at 35 points ahead. Even Team A fans are unhappy with it. (I wasn't reffing, just watching, and I could hear the Team A fans behind me). Finally, in frustration, Team B coach stands up and yells down the table, "Hey (name of coach A), I'm glad your team is finally learning how to press". Refs (who were very good and I'm not questioning the no-call) ignored it, although at least one heard it. Okay, I figure, this much must be okay. When it is not okay for one coach to address the other?
Jewel,
Agreeing with Big Dave, I would put a stop to that interplay when it became a distraction/focus.
I would go to the instigator and ask him to concentrate on his own team.
mick
Old Mon May 28, 2001, 01:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Wink

Juulie - if you feel that what was said might escalate, approach the coach who made the remark and tell him not to address comments to the other coach, and that if he has anything to say to the guy, please wait until after the game and after you leave the court. Tell him that after you leave, you don't care what he does to the guy. Then wink at him and say, "Ya know what I mean?" Wink, wink.
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

Smile

I had this happen once in a H.S. Varsity game..... This is the way I handled it....... I brought both officials to the table and simply said......."The next comment that comes from your mouth better be directed at me or your players, if you two want to talk to each other, I can arrange that!"
They got the hint! By the way! They did not discuss my officiating after that either!

The next time I may say something different, it all depends on the situation!

AK ref SE
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

I agree that there should be no running dialogues between coaches. or anything else...

I saw a game from the stands last year where it was obvious that the coach wanted the T, the coach was wandering someplace between the midcourt and baseline. On one play he way almost at the baseline yelling at the official. The official did not have enough guts to whap him up so he was wanderingt o mid court "coaching" players. The other coaching staff started in with him because he was in front of table, complaining, and they had a pretty good discussion going. The two officials on the floor never saw this (or if they did they did not care). If the first coach would have got the T, this would not have happened. so the morale of the story T first ask questions later!
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 03:38pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
...If the first coach would have got the T, this would not have happened. so the morale of the story T first ask questions later!
Kelvin,
Different strokes for different folks.
When Coaches are out of position, I like to work in their direction and ask, "Do you know where you are?" or "Would you mind keeping an eye on the box?"
They generally comply, if you show any concern.
mick
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 06:58pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
On one play he way almost at the baseline yelling at the official.
Just run past him and clip him in the head with your elbow as you go by. I guarantee he'll get the message.
Old Tue May 29, 2001, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

Mark -

I had a situation where I was the trail on tableside. The coach had stepped toward the floor in an effort to call a Timeout, however, in the process the ball was stolen (tableside of the court) and forced down court right at me.
As I made the transition to the lead, I PLOWED over the coach.

He had nothing to say, and I realized it was not intentional. Without a doubt, he suffered much more than I did.
Old Tue Jun 05, 2001, 08:26am
Official Forum Member

Never had this situation. Have had some coaches who just plain hated eachother, but nothing said during the game.

How would I handle??? Quick thoughts are:
If it was one coach doing all the talking I would tell him he was distracting from the game and ask him to stop. If it was the winning coach (with a large margin) he would get a quick warning to stop. Know what the technical is for before you blow the whistle!!!
If both coaches were going at it I would get them together at the table on the first avialable dead ball and tell them "ENOUGH!!"
In North Carolina a POE has been good sportsmanship from players, fans, and coaches so I would use this in my talk to HS and lower coahes.