Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by dhodges007

And to say that as L you aren't looking over in that direction and wouldn't help is ridiculous unless you are a rookie who isn't confident enough to help in this situation. As my partner I would say thanks! you just saved the game.
I completely disagree. If I trust my partners, I will not be looking there. In a 3-official game, why would we have 6 eyes watching the on-ball matchup? The only time as lead that I might be peeking over there is if I have no trust of my partner(s).

It wouldn't show confidence for the L to go help in this situation. It would show a lack of confidence in the ability of your C and T.

Z
Might you also be be peeking over there if a half line trap may trigger a rotation?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:54am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
I completely disagree. If I trust my partners, I will not be looking there. In a 3-official game, why would we have 6 eyes watching the on-ball matchup? The only time as lead that I might be peeking over there is if I have no trust of my partner(s).

It wouldn't show confidence for the L to go help in this situation. It would show a lack of confidence in the ability of your C and T.

Z
Absolutely correct and mechanically sound! I have a feeling that more times than not the "getting it right is the most important" argument is used as a license to watch the ball.

The other post is correct also; the T shouldn't have been hugging the sideline if the ball was on the other side of the court.

Can the OP come back and tell us approximately where the other 7 players were?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:57am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Back In The Saddle
Might you also be be peeking over there if a half line trap may trigger a rotation? [/B][/QUOTE]

Peek and rotate, not peek and referee! The OP hasn't said whether the Lead started to rotate or if he just came from the baseline opposite to make the call. I would also like to know where the nearest competitive matchup was and if there were any players between the L and the foul.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
The other post is correct also; the T shouldn't have been hugging the sideline if the ball was on the other side of the court.
Hey, wait a minute! Didn't you say "No, No, No!" when I said the Trail should cheat over?!?!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Bottom line: Did they get it right?

Only thing different would be for the C to not run right beside the players. My experience is that I am either ahead of the players or behind. It would be a coincidence if I am exactly even. With traps and other things happening out there, it is not unusual to not see a hack or grab. Things happen so fast that I think it is unfair to tell someone that they should have "backed out." I wasn't there and I don't know exactly what the positions were and how it all came about.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:05am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Hey, wait a minute! Didn't you say "No, No, No!" when I said the Trail should cheat over?!?!
I might have but I also said I was sorry because I didn't read the OP correctly. If you said the T should cheat over, I agree with you now that I have a better picture of the play.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
I might have but I also said I was sorry because I didn't read the OP correctly. If you said the T should cheat over, I agree with you now that I have a better picture of the play.
Woo-hoo!! You like me!! You really like me!!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:11am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by Forksref
Bottom line: Did they get it right?
I'm not saying that things don't happen during a game, but show me a crew (of 3) that goes into a game thinking like this and I will probably be able to show you plenty of things that were missed. Should we talk about what could be done to get it right or "just get it right" more? Also, this isn't fair to some states because officials are working hard every year to KEEP 3-person! Coaches aren't dummies - at least not all of them - and they will make an argument about the added expense when plays like this happen over and over again. Should those officials approach a game with this attitude or really work on focusing on their primary and getting open looks?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
It sounds as though L could have seen the trap developing, and started a rotation and thus had a fair angle to see the contact.

If I were the C, I'd be thrilled if someone called that out from under me (someone besides a coach!). I think the most important thing in this sitch is to get the call right, regardless of who has the angle.
Rainmaker, I have to disagree with you on this one. I wouldn't want someone coming approx 40ft. to take a call away from me while I am approx 5 ft away and the T in the vicinity. For the life of me, I can't see the L making this call, especially on the endline. IMO if the L has no competitive matchups, then he should be doubling the lines and should be free throw extended. If that is the case, then he may have a whistle on the play.

[Edited by brianp134 on Jan 5th, 2006 at 12:00 PM]
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke

There were no competitive match-ups below the head-of-key extended.
Classic and convenient! One question though: were there any match-ups closer than the one in question?

I did not read the OP close enough and thought the play was near the free throw line extended. Sorry for my oversight. Now that I have corrected that mistake, there is really no way the L should have called this; he shouldn't have to. Again, the C shouldn't have been running along side the dribbler. It could result in instantly being stacked, Oh I'm sorry, it did result in him being stacked! Now that I know where the play took place, I think the C should have been lower than the play. Did he stop at the exact same time as the dribbler? How convenient that is! Since most of us don't know when the dribbler is going to pull up, I think most would have went at least another step past the dribbler. Unless...you see the trap coming. If the C was lower than the play, he would have seen the same thing the L saw.

OK, we have heard the line about getting it right being the most important thing. Spending 5% of the time on that statement and 95% of the time on making sure these types of things do not happen will decrease the times it happens! I think two person is more like survival and I've heard three person mechanics described as an art. The crew was mechanically wrong, period.

Thank God for geography!
Tommy, what do you mean by Thank God for geography?
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Woo-hoo!! You like me!! You really like me!!
Calm down Chuck. January is his turn.

My opinion on the play: I'm still not sure who was standing where but clearly the C was not in the best position and the T should have been ready to help. But I get nervous when people say "you should not be looking there". There's good enough reason for the L to keep tabs on where the C is if there's nothing else going on in his area - (not clear on what was going on by the basket btw, maybe the OP can clue us in on that too. BUT if the L was at the endline on the other side of the court he had better be absolutely positive and he had better come rushing in tooting that whistle like a lunatic. There are some calls that are game savers, if he got it right he's the hero if not he's the goat. Big time goat.
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:01pm
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by brianp134
There are so many different ways I want to cuss you out right now! Your phone will be ringing soon.

When is the last (and only) time you called me "Tommy?" I see I've been letting you get away with too much since you are being all "mouthy." I will correct that soon enough!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Quote:
There are so many different ways I want to cuss you out right now! Your phone will be ringing soon.

When is the last (and only) time you called me "Tommy?" I see I've been letting you get away with too much since you are being all "mouthy." I will correct that soon enough!
I'm sorry, I should have said Tom. MY bad
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Quote:
It sounds as though L could have seen the trap developing, and started a rotation and thus had a fair angle to see the contact.

If I were the C, I'd be thrilled if someone called that out from under me (someone besides a coach!). I think the most important thing in this sitch is to get the call right, regardless of who has the angle.
Rainmaker, I have to disagree with you on this one. I wouldn't want someone coming approx 40ft. to take a call away from me while I am approx 5 ft away and the T in the vicinity. For the life of me, I can't see the L making this call, especially on the endline. IMO if the L has no competitive matchups, then he should be doubling the lines and should be free throw extended. If that is the case, then he may have a whistle on the play.
I haven't done much 3-person at all, so I can't say I have it down pat, so maybe I'll word my viewpoint in the form of a question -- Jeopardy-style. These aren't intended to be Socratic, they are genuine uncertainties.

It sounds as though there are no players that need watching that are below the free-throw line extended. Why would Lead be clear down on the endlne? But let's say he is there, now he's got no competetive match-up in his primary, and he's using "wide eyes" to "see the whole floor" and lo and behold there's a trap developing on the far side of the floor. WHy wouldn't he immediately rotate to help out? Then once he's across, why wouldn't he take a step or two onto the floor to get an angle on the most important action? All of those adjustments by Lead could easily happen as the dribbler crosses the center line and the trap is closing in around him, eh?

I agree with those that are invoking the presence of the OP. Where's a good OP when you need him!?!
Old Thu Jan 05, 2006, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I haven't done much 3-person at all, so I can't say I have it down pat, so maybe I'll word my viewpoint in the form of a question -- Jeopardy-style. These aren't intended to be Socratic, they are genuine uncertainties.

It sounds as though there are no players that need watching that are below the free-throw line extended. Why would Lead be clear down on the endlne?
He should not be. From what I can tell reading the thread the L should have been about at the top of the key on his sideline.