View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 04, 2006, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Did A1 pivot away from C toward the basket?

I'm assuming that C was in a stack caused by A1's body, while T probably would be looking through B1.

It's possible that in this case L would be the only official with an open look, not that they should be looking there.

This play is the very situation where C should force the rotation and back out and become trail.
Yes. A1 pivoted "through" the basket; i.e. the ball, during the pivot, swept an arc that included the basket. Your two assumptions are correct. Also, the L was indeed the only official with an open look.

Regarding your last point, this was a quick transition situation at the end of a period. "Backing out" by the slot is not an issue here, because he went from a virtual sprint with A1 up the sideline, to a quick stop once A1 picked up the dribble to avoid a PC foul at the point of the trap (five feet or so beyond division line in FC). Had time not been running out, there would have been no "backing out" to speak of. The lead would have rotated, and the old slot would have become the new trail, with no movement necessary on his part, save a small position adjustment to open the angle which closed on him when A1 pivoted.

What I'm saying is C should have FORCED the rotation by becoming the trail and thus TRAILING the play. Different areas do different things with last second shots and locking down, but even in that situation C needs to anticipate the trap and not try to out run the play.

I liken it to new lead knowing they are beat and instead of trying to out run the play, gather yourself, slow down and work the angle to get the look.