Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:02pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref

He gets this way when his diaper needs changing.

And you'd be correct for once.

I agree that Dan's correct too.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Put me on the list of unethical cowards too.

Z
Me too. I ain't ready to be hung on a cross yet. I make mistakes too.
You'd be the last one I'd suspect would willingly agree to fudge what happened to avoid the embarrassment of fixing it.

I'm shocked and disappointed.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

BZ,

I hope you don't parent like you critique other officials. Ken came onto the boards and shared a situation that he felt he'd handled improperly. You decided to play armchair judge, jury and executioner in asciribing character-related reasons for his crew's mistake. You could have added something calm and reasoned, while still remaining true to your beliefs about the situation. Maybe something like,

"I've been there. It's tough when you know that you've made a mistake that no one else in the gym is aware of; especially when fixing that mistake has the potential to turn placid waters into a perfect storm. That's where you have to make a decision for yourself. Is doing what's hard but correct (by rule) the right course of action, or do you stay headache-free and live with a mistake that, going unnoticed by others, would not be the end of anybody's world? It's not an easy question. It's a value judgment, to be sure. As for me, I'd rather take my medicine."

As for you, though, that wasn't enough. You had to demonstrate righteous indignation that someone else would take the "low road." My experience with some Alabama football fans and some North Carolina basketball fans has confirmed for me what I had believed through studying the virtues: those who possess them don't talk about them. I've heard fans of the aforementioned programs talk about how much class they have and how little Auburn's and Duke's fans have, respectively. Always makes me want to vomit. Same goes for courage. Those who truly have it don't have need to call others cowardly. There are other ways to get your point across that are both more effective and less obnoxious.

I'm going to make a mistake in my game tonight. I'll no doubt make one tomorrow as well. I dare say the same goes for you. With that in mind, do you want to foster an environment in which officials feel free to admit mistakes and learn from them in hopes of not repeating them, or do you want to help create an environment where people don't feel free to be honest with themselves and others because of fear of mockery and castigation? As for me, I choose the former.

My perception is that you aren't nearly so concerned with helping others improve as you are with helping yourself to feel superior. Submissions that might mitigate against this perception are welcome and encouraged.

I hope you are perfect tonight.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:25pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Z
You'd be the last one I'd suspect would willingly agree to fudge what happened to avoid the embarrassment of fixing it.

BZ, doing something like sending out exams and answers over the internet is unethical. Of course, that's also my opinion only, and I know that there's posters here that disagree completely with me on that one. Screwing up a call and having the cojones to admit it publically to his peers on this forum though doesn't make a fellow official cowardly and unethical imo. The guy was right up-front on the play- he admitted that he made a mistake and screwed the play up completely. He's obviously learned a lesson from it. He obviously wanted input to see if there was anything else to be learned from the unfortunate incident too.

Yes, I personally do get carried away myself and maybe go too far sometimes. In this case, calling the guy "cowardly and unethical" for screwing up this particular call is just way over the top. Again, that's just my opinion only and I ain't gonna get into an extended flame war about it.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Z

BZ, doing something like sending out exams and answers over the internet is unethical. Of course, that's also my opinion only, and I know that there's posters here that disagree completely with me on that one. Screwing up a call and having the cojones to admit it publically to his peers on this forum though doesn't make a fellow official cowardly and unethical imo. The guy was right up-front on the play- he admitted that he made a mistake and screwed the play up completely. He's obviously learned a lesson from it. He obviously wanted input to see if there was anything else to be learned from the unfortunate incident too.

Yes, I personally do get carried away myself and maybe go too far sometimes. In this case, calling the guy "cowardly and unethical" for screwing up this particular call is just way over the top. Again, that's just my opinion only and I ain't gonna get into an extended flame war about it.
So coming on a forum anonymously is brave?

It does not change the fact that it was admitted that the crew KNEW at the time they had a correctable error situation that could be fixed, but chose instead to use disposal as an out.

"Since only three people in gym who knew what had happened were wearing striped shirts, we agreed that ball was at disposal of Team B."

Oh well, as long as only we know we are not fixing something we should, it's okay.

Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jbduke
BZ,

I hope you don't parent like you critique other officials. Ken came onto the boards and shared a situation that he felt he'd handled improperly. You decided to play armchair judge, jury and executioner in asciribing character-related reasons for his crew's mistake. You could have added something calm and reasoned, while still remaining true to your beliefs about the situation. Maybe something like,

"I've been there. It's tough when you know that you've made a mistake that no one else in the gym is aware of; especially when fixing that mistake has the potential to turn placid waters into a perfect storm. That's where you have to make a decision for yourself. Is doing what's hard but correct (by rule) the right course of action, or do you stay headache-free and live with a mistake that, going unnoticed by others, would not be the end of anybody's world? It's not an easy question. It's a value judgment, to be sure. As for me, I'd rather take my medicine."

As for you, though, that wasn't enough. You had to demonstrate righteous indignation that someone else would take the "low road." My experience with some Alabama football fans and some North Carolina basketball fans has confirmed for me what I had believed through studying the virtues: those who possess them don't talk about them. I've heard fans of the aforementioned programs talk about how much class they have and how little Auburn's and Duke's fans have, respectively. Always makes me want to vomit. Same goes for courage. Those who truly have it don't have need to call others cowardly. There are other ways to get your point across that are both more effective and less obnoxious.

I'm going to make a mistake in my game tonight. I'll no doubt make one tomorrow as well. I dare say the same goes for you. With that in mind, do you want to foster an environment in which officials feel free to admit mistakes and learn from them in hopes of not repeating them, or do you want to help create an environment where people don't feel free to be honest with themselves and others because of fear of mockery and castigation? As for me, I choose the former.

My perception is that you aren't nearly so concerned with helping others improve as you are with helping yourself to feel superior. Submissions that might mitigate against this perception are welcome and encouraged.

I hope you are perfect tonight.

Save the armchair psychology for someone else Dr. Phil.

Yep, every post I make is to feel superior, and I have no desire to improve myself or other officials.

Since you pull the day-time TV psychology out so freely, perhaps, said poster wanted to be criticized because he felt guilty about doing the wrong thing?

It's called "tough love".

If one cannot handle things said on a message board, how are they gonna handle coaches and fans?
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:15pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]

[/B][/QUOTE]I stopped reading right there.

I come on this forum anonymously.

Is Blind Zebra your real name?

End of discussion.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
I stopped reading right there.

End of discussion. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually I'm told his real name is Blin Dzebra. Czech or Polish or something.

Anyway...this is sure getting silly. Can one of the mods lock this thing so Blin doesn't throw his back out trying to justify being such a prick?

(btw...Carl told me the word "prick" is OK last week, otherwise I wouldn't dare use it.)

Oh wait...before this entire thing gets deleted, you might enjoy this:

[Edited by Dan_ref on Dec 9th, 2005 at 04:23 PM]
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Quote:

End of discussion. [/B]
Actually I'm told his real name is Blin Dzebra. Czech or Polish or something.

Anyway...this is sure getting silly. Can one of the mods lock this thing so Blin doesn't throw his back out trying to justify being such a prick?

(btw...Carl told me the word "prick" is OK last week, otherwise I wouldn't dare use it.)

Oh wait...before this entire thing gets deleted, you might enjoy this:

[Edited by Dan_ref on Dec 9th, 2005 at 04:23 PM] [/B][/QUOTE]

Talk about a pot calling the kettle black, I'm not even in the same neighborhood of prickdom as you.
Old Fri Dec 09, 2005, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

[/B]

End of discussion. [/B][/QUOTE]

As a matter of fact...

So, saying that none of us are risking anything by posting somehow hurts my argument?

You just PROVED my point, thanks.
Closed Thread