The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

During a jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 taps the ball and jumper B1 catches the ball before the jump ball ends.

The official awards the ball to team A and sets the arrow to team A. Is the official correct?

This question is from the IAABO computer program. I got it wrong but can't find out exactly why. I remember this rule changing a few years ago but don't save all the old books in my attic.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:32am
In Memoriam

See case book play 6.4.1SitC(d). It's the exact play.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
During a jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 taps the ball and jumper B1 catches the ball before the jump ball ends.

The official awards the ball to team A and sets the arrow to team A. Is the official correct?

This question is from the IAABO computer program. I got it wrong but can't find out exactly why. I remember this rule changing a few years ago but don't save all the old books in my attic.
NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:08am
MABO Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oc

The first legal possession is by A on the throw in. Therefore the arrow should be set in B's favor.

[Edited by SmokeEater on Dec 1st, 2005 at 09:22 AM]

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:
Originally posted by oc

The first legal possession is by B on the throw in. Therefore the arrow should be set in A's favor.
SE - Read more. Smoke less.

mj - Correct-NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.
Old Thu Dec 01, 2005, 09:21am
MABO Member

Right sorry mixed up the two teams. Its early so sue me. No need to be sarcastic..LOL

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 04:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SmokeEater
Right sorry mixed up the two teams. Its early so sue me. No need to be sarcastic..LOL
Even so, there is still no possession on the throw-in. The arrow is set when the ball is placed at the disposal of the throwing team in this instance.

That thrower could pass the ball into the court such that it is immediately intercepted by the opponent. In that case the first "legal possession" would not be by the throwing team, but the initial setting of the arrow would not be altered.

Old Fri Dec 02, 2005, 09:17am
MABO Member

Rule 6-2 A.R.3 is the description I was going by.

Old Sat Dec 03, 2005, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
Quote:
Originally posted by oc

NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.
I said no the official is not correct and the computer said I was wrong. I think the program is wrong.