The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   jump ball situation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/23408-jump-ball-situation.html)

oc Thu Dec 01, 2005 08:10am

During a jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 taps the ball and jumper B1 catches the ball before the jump ball ends.

The official awards the ball to team A and sets the arrow to team A. Is the official correct?

This question is from the IAABO computer program. I got it wrong but can't find out exactly why. I remember this rule changing a few years ago but don't save all the old books in my attic.

Jurassic Referee Thu Dec 01, 2005 08:32am

See case book play 6.4.1SitC(d). It's the exact play.

mj Thu Dec 01, 2005 08:32am

Quote:

Originally posted by oc
During a jump ball to start the game, jumper A1 taps the ball and jumper B1 catches the ball before the jump ball ends.

The official awards the ball to team A and sets the arrow to team A. Is the official correct?

This question is from the IAABO computer program. I got it wrong but can't find out exactly why. I remember this rule changing a few years ago but don't save all the old books in my attic.

NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.

SmokeEater Thu Dec 01, 2005 09:08am

Quote:

Originally posted by oc

The first legal possession is by A on the throw in. Therefore the arrow should be set in B's favor.

[Edited by SmokeEater on Dec 1st, 2005 at 09:22 AM]

SamIAm Thu Dec 01, 2005 09:13am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Quote:

Originally posted by oc

The first legal possession is by B on the throw in. Therefore the arrow should be set in A's favor.

SE - Read more. Smoke less.

mj - Correct-NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.

SmokeEater Thu Dec 01, 2005 09:21am

Right sorry mixed up the two teams. Its early so sue me. No need to be sarcastic..LOL

Nevadaref Fri Dec 02, 2005 04:54am

Quote:

Originally posted by SmokeEater
Right sorry mixed up the two teams. Its early so sue me. No need to be sarcastic..LOL
Even so, there is still no possession on the throw-in. The arrow is set when the ball is placed at the disposal of the throwing team in this instance.

That thrower could pass the ball into the court such that it is immediately intercepted by the opponent. In that case the first "legal possession" would not be by the throwing team, but the initial setting of the arrow would not be altered.

SmokeEater Fri Dec 02, 2005 09:17am

Rule 6-2 A.R.3 is the description I was going by.

oc Sat Dec 03, 2005 07:04am

Quote:

Originally posted by mj
Quote:

Originally posted by oc

NFHS, Team A gets the ball. Team B gets the arrow. It was changed a few years ago as it was penalizing the violating team twice.

I said no the official is not correct and the computer said I was wrong. I think the program is wrong.