The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 01:30am
Official Forum Member

situations:

5 second throw in rule..... Player throwing in releases ball at 4.5 seconds on a long high looping pass that is caught 3 seconds after release..... 7.5 since count started...... violation??? or not???

top of backboard... in/ out????? ever vary????

thanks.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

The throw-in count ends when the thrower releases the ball on the pass, so no violation has been committed.

The top edge of the backboard is inbounds in every rules set and level of play of which I am aware.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 07:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by yoyo

top of backboard... in/ out????? ever vary????
Just to add a little to Nevadaref's response, which is absolutely correct:

It is a violation for the ball to pass over the top of the backboard. (To be absolutely precise, this is only the case for rectangular backboards---but when is the last time you saw a fan-shaped backboard?) The back of the backboard is considered out of bounds. The top, bottom, sides, and front are considered in bounds.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

The count ends when the ball is realeased to echo the others. I have a question I just thought of... On a ten second count in the backcourt does the ball have to be possessed by someone on the same team in the front court before ten seconds?

I say yes but don't have my rule books here to confirm it.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lotto
but when is the last time you saw a fan-shaped backboard?
Never in a varsity game... every so often you will encounter one in a middle school/ jr. high game. Or a Boys & Girls club gym. And when you have them... IT SUCKS!
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:05am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ThickSkin
I have a question I just thought of... On a ten second count in the backcourt does the ball have to be possessed by someone on the same team in the front court before ten seconds?

I say yes but don't have my rule books here to confirm it.
You wouldn't be able to confirm it even if you had your rule books available.

The answer is no. The 10-second count terminates as soon as the ball hits the floor or any player, including opponents, in the frontcourt too. That includes hitting an official in the front court also.

Casebook play 9.8SitB.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 1st, 2005 at 09:08 AM]
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
but when is the last time you saw a fan-shaped backboard?)
A couple times a year at a quaint gym in Darrington, Washington that could be right out of the movie, "Hoosiers." Love it.

Z
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
A couple times a year at a quaint gym in Darrington, Washington that could be right out of the movie, "Hoosiers."
Could be. Except for the minor detail that it's in Darrington, Washington.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:28am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb FWIW

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
A couple times a year at a quaint gym in Darrington, Washington that could be right out of the movie, "Hoosiers."
The old high school gymnasium in Knightstown served as the gym for fictional Hickory High. Today, it's fully restored as a community center, and it's open for tours. You can sit in the stands and remind yourself, yet again, that people from Indiana are the greatest basketball fans in the world.

http://www.thehoosiergym.com/

Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
When Hollywood is involved, anything is possible.

Z
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to SeanFitzRef
Quote:
but when is the last time you saw a fan-shaped backboard?
Last Thursday, doing girls' jr. high games. A couple of schools have them, so we have to dust off the cobwebs. Always funny how the shots change with those (metal fan-shaped) backboards.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 01:51pm
We don't rent pigs

top of backboard

I think that one thing that is confusing to some people is that many goals are constructed in such a way that the ball cannot touch the top edge of the board without also touching some part of the structure which supports the board. When a ball touches this supporting structure it is out of bounds. This leads to the inevitable comments,
"Last night at (some other gym) they called it out when it hit the top."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

Sort of on the topic of fan shaped backboards, the Iowa girl's test this year included a question about restraining lines. I had to look and think hard on that one. I don't know that I've ever worked a game that used them.
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

One of the things that aids my Officiating is my excellent knowledge of Physics. I have trouble with a pass being in the air for 3 seconds? Assuming it was thrown and caught at approximately the same height off the court:

It would take the ball 1.5 seconds to reach it's apex highest point) and an equal 1.5 secons to fall to it's starting height.

Velocity = Acceleration X Time
V= 32.2 ft/sec2 x 1.5 seconds
V= 48 ft/sec. This is the vertical "muzzle velocity" of the throw and the vertical velocity of the ball when caught. Horizonatl velocity is inconsequential. I'm sure you all agree that a bullet fired from a "level" barrel 6 feet off the ground will hit the ground exactly at the same time as another bullet dropped from that same height.

Velocity = Sqaure Roof of 2g x H
48x48 = 64.4 x H
H= 36 feet!

Most gyms having ceilings 25 feet high as they are of masonry construction and limited in height by the National Concrete Masonry Code. This story is getting very dubious......
Old Tue Nov 01, 2005, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by JCrow
One of the things that aids my Officiating is my excellent knowledge of Physics. I have trouble with a pass being in the air for 3 seconds? Assuming it was thrown and caught at approximately the same height off the court:

It would take the ball 1.5 seconds to reach it's apex highest point) and an equal 1.5 secons to fall to it's starting height.

Velocity = Acceleration X Time
V= 32.2 ft/sec2 x 1.5 seconds
V= 48 ft/sec. This is the vertical "muzzle velocity" of the throw and the vertical velocity of the ball when caught. Horizonatl velocity is inconsequential. I'm sure you all agree that a bullet fired from a "level" barrel 6 feet off the ground will hit the ground exactly at the same time as another bullet dropped from that same height.

Velocity = Sqaure Roof of 2g x H
48x48 = 64.4 x H
H= 36 feet!

Most gyms having ceilings 25 feet high as they are of masonry construction and limited in height by the National Concrete Masonry Code. This story is getting very dubious......
Nice analysis!