The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Long time official, first post.

I have had numerous disagreements with officials and coaches regarding the traveling rule on a shot attempt. Player A shoots an airball, runs and gets his rebound before the ball hits anything, including the floor. This has happened numerous times on lay-up attempts where player A shoots and misses everything, but is able to run and get his rebound. This is not traveling, correct? He even has the option to dribble again, if I'm not mistaken.

Just looking for some back-up on this rule. Thanks.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomatty

I have had numerous disagreements with officials and coaches regarding the traveling rule on a shot attempt. Player A shoots an airball, runs and gets his rebound before the ball hits anything, including the floor. This has happened numerous times on lay-up attempts where player A shoots and misses everything, but is able to run and get his rebound. This is not traveling, correct? He even has the option to dribble again, if I'm not mistaken.

Correct (in all but the NBA, and maybe FIBA). Once a try is in flight, player control has ended.

Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:

Correct (in all but the NBA, and maybe FIBA). Once a try is in flight, player control has ended.

Do you know the Citation for this rule? Just curious.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Remember basketball fundamentals. Dont need a rule citation for this one.

Once a ball is in the air on a try, there is no player or team control. The ball is fair game and any player can secure this ball.

The NBA wrote a specific exception in that the ball had to hit something before shooter could get it back. If the nBA had not specificall put that in theirs would have been the same.

Here goes my chant again. This is where you have to know your definitions. All the other rules mean diidly if you dont know rule 4
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Once a ball is in the air on a try, there is no player or team control. The ball is fair game and any player can secure this ball.

The NBA wrote a specific exception in that the ball had to hit something before shooter could get it back. If the nBA had not specificall put that in theirs would have been the same.

Here goes my chant again. This is where you have to know your definitions. All the other rules mean diidly if you dont know rule 4
Just curious about the citation. This is a call that is made incorrectly a lot. Coaches often complain wanting this call made too. Any citation?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:16am
In Memoriam

NFHS case book play 4.44SitB
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:36am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:

BOB&TOM listener as well?
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Here is some documentation from the NCAA 2004 rulebook.

Section 65. Traveling

Art. 1. Traveling occurs when a player holding the ball moves a foot or both feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits described in this Rule.
A.R. 35. A1 attempts a try at Team A’s basket after having completed the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the ring or the flange or any other player. A1 runs and catches the ball before it strikes the playing court. Is this traveling?
RULING:
When A1 recovered his or her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There is no team control by either team when a try is in flight. However, when the
shot clock expires and a try by A1 or a teammate has not struck the ring or the flange, it shall be a violation of the shot-clock rule.
Old Wed Nov 02, 2005, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nate1224hoops
Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green

Just curious about the citation. This is a call that is made incorrectly a lot. Coaches often complain wanting this call made too. Any citation?
As mentioned it is found in the case book. You will not find it in the rule book. Coaches complain because they watched one too many NBA games. If the call is made incorrectly it is because the referee does not undestand the basics of the game.

Even Basketball rule fundamantal 1 applies. loose ball reamins in team control unless a shot or try.(abbreviated)

New officials need to learn the 20 fundamentals and rule 4 befor anything else.

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

If I'm not mistaken, I think this is legal even in FIBA now....I think....

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 01:54am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Case Book
Check out item (c)
4.15.4 SITUATION C: After dribbling and coming to a stop, A1 throws the ball: (a) against the opponent's backboard and catches the rebound; (b) against an official, immediately recovers the ball and dribbles again; or (c) against his/her own backboard in an attempt to score (try), catches the rebound and dribbles again. RULING: A1 has violated in both (a) and (b). Throwing the ball against the opponent's backboard or an official constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it strikes the official or the board. In (c), the action is legal. Once the ball is released on the try, there is no player or team control, therefore, A1 can recover the rebound and begin a dribble.

Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and he could be gone every weekend.
Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 05:00am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
While you have given him some rules language help with that case play, it truly doesn't fit his situation because the ball hits the backboard in 4.15.4 Sit C.

So if you would post the play JR cited, 4.44 Sit B from this year's book (labeled 4.43 Sit B in previous years), that would do even more for the questioner.

Old Thu Nov 03, 2005, 08:43am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Chuck,
While you have given him some rules language help with that case play, it truly doesn't fit his situation because the ball hits the backboard in 4.15.4 Sit C.

So if you would post the play JR cited, 4.44 Sit B from this year's book (labeled 4.43 Sit B in previous years), that would do even more for the questioner.

I'll post it. I just hate paying the royalty to Tony though:

4.44SITUATION B: A1 attempts a try after ending the dribble. The try does not touch the backboard, the rim, or any other player. A1 runs and is able to catch the ball before it touches the floor. Is this traveling?
RULING: No. When A1 recovered his/her own try, A1 could either dribble, pass or try again. There was no team control after the ball was released on a try. (4-12, 4-41)